Linens post lockdown

Julia2548
Level 2
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom

Linens post lockdown

Now that bookings are restarting, I was wondering about offering guests the option of bringing their own bed linen and towels, for a reduction of say £25. Any thoughts on this? 

7 Replies 7

@Julia2548  I don't recommend it, for a few reasons:

-  Guests who accept the reduction may wind up preferring to use your linens or towels after all, as they often underestimate their needs. Worse yet, people can be very creative about what items in the home they can repurpose as a sheet or towel in a pinch.

-  Mattresses and pillows left unmade by a host have a higher chance of being stained or infested with tiny hitchhikers, and therefore harder to sanitize

-  Rebates like these can't be found in the Search and are therefore ineffective for attracting more interest in the listing.

Perhaps most importantly, I find that expectations of discounts, reductions, and exemptions are very often toxic to the guest/host communication. Once that line of discussion is opened, there's a significantly higher risk that one or both parties will be disappointed by the outcome. Rather than announcing yourself as a host who can be swayed into cutting prices on request, I think you get much better results - and better guests - by having straightforward, non-negotiable prices, and only accepting guests who appreciate the good value that you offer for quality.

Julia2548
Level 2

Thank you Andrew, some excellent points. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julia2548  I agree with @Anonymous's points and I think there may be some guests who might feel more comfortable using their own linens as long as the virus is a threat and bring them regardless. But that's their business, I wouldn't make it part of yours.

Julia2548
Level 2

Thank you Sarah, that makes a lot of sense. They do have the choice to bring their own. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Personally I think it's a good idea, not for the money but because I don't want to touch used linen. But I'm closed for business, so I don't have t o make e that call.

Julia2548
Level 2

Yes used linen, especially at the moment, is a bit eeeuueeewww! My guests have always been very helpful in stripping their beds. What I think I’ll do now is leave them a laundry bag to put it all In so I can quarantine it for a few days before I wash it! Glad to have found this forum to share thoughts. Thank you!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can of course do this, but I think many guests will be put off from booking so something to take into consideration @Julia2548