Listing has been temporarily paused

Alain3
Level 3
Choisel, France

Listing has been temporarily paused

I have a message "Your listing has been temporarily paused. Because your overall star rating is less than 4 stars, your listing has been temporarily paused and removed from search results. You can reactivate and come back to hosting after learning more about Airbnb ratings and hosting standards". Underneath it is a button called "Reactivate". It took me to a page offering 6 tutorials. I watched them all. My listing is still deactivated.

It's not the first time this site severely annoys me. They bring me about one person per month, so I make 20 euros per month out of this and it's not worth the trouble. I tried to delete my account, following online instructions, and it didn't function! Ha. So they want to keep their hosts? I set the calendar to "unavailable" for a whole month, hopping they would get the message. Obviously, they didn't.

Now I'll set it to "unavailable" for a year. See how they like it.

I won't be slave to a web site! Who do they think they are?

17 Replies 17
Alain3
Level 3
Choisel, France

Apparently I can only set it to unavailable for 3 months. This is done.

If you don't want your listing available anymore, if they deactivate it, if you don't go through the process to reactive, it should never get reservations again.  If not you can do this: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/476/how-do-i-snooze-or-deactivate-my-listing

Airbnb does this because your listing is less than an overall rating of "great".  They want you to work on the space to make the guests feel better about their stay.  If your ratings are consistantly lower, it hurts Airbnb too.  They are providing your listing in search results less and less because you are not meeting basic-level standards.  

Hosting is not for everyone.  Maybe it will be in your best interest to not do it anymore.  

Hi Alice Jeff, what does the "level 10" by your name mean? I have "level 2" By mine. Can you explain the difference you seem to know a lot more?

Thanks,

Chiedu.

@Chiedu0 - it's a cobination of how often I've posted a response in the Community Center and how often it was "thumbs up" as being the correct answer or agreed to by other posters. Level 10 is as high as you can go and you will find, even amoung the 10s, there is descrepancies from time to time.  It's just to give you a sense of who's been around the longest and trying to help the most.  

Your a smart arse, most hosts work hard and offer a good level of service, Airbnb are a faceless moneymaking machine. There is no science behind the ratings given by Guests, I assume you are controlling your guest feedback somehow, pictures of them doing something they shouldnt perhaps.

Trinity-And-Cristina0
Level 4
Prague, Czech Republic

Hi Alain, 

have they temporarily disabled your listing by accident, or do you have below average reviews? Because I looked at your profile, and you seem to have very nice reviews...but if you do have below 4 star (which I find confusing) I guess they do this as precaution because you are not meeting host standards. Maybe you should write to airbnb staff and they can help you? Hope you fix it. Best of luck!

Good Luck getting anything from Airbnb but..."Im Sorry" . They have so many hosts they really don't care!

@Alain3   It could be a glitch, I received that once and Airbnb said it was a site-wide glitch.   "Contact Airbnb"

May79
Level 2
Australia

We had devasting floods and I am paused because I cancelled bookings. The roads were flooded. I am over airbnb.

@May79   So sorry this happened to you. If you ever want to try it again, what you need to do when you have a situation like that is to contact airbnb and ask them to cancel the reservations for you under the "extenuating circumstances" clause. Then you will avoid any penalties.

You could try contacting them now and explain why you had to cancel and that you didn't realize you should have contacted them first. They may re-instate your listing.

Adam448
Level 1
Tillamook, OR

Over 50% of my reviews are 5-star.  I have a 4.2 star average rating.  I just got paused.  None of my category ratings are below 4.2 stars.  I've never cancelled a booking.  I have no idea why I was paused and I have been given no explanation other than I've been paused for "low ratings".

No info about what they want you to do to "unpause" it? Did they give you any warning? Please let us know; there is a lot of host interest in this.

having anywhere near 50% of your ratings be below 5-star is actually considered quite low for Airbnb.

(For example, the standard for Superhost was that 80% of Overall ratings be 5-star. It is being changed to make it even harder.)

The whole rating system thing is a bit ridiculous, but Airbnb does set some very high targets.

So what they said is true. Airbnb does consider 4.2 to be a low rating.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Adam0 (sorry, the tag feature isn't working today)- We can't see your listing since it is paused, but the reviews are visible. Many of your guests have mentioned cleanliness issues, unclean bedding,and towels,  very uncomfortable couch, and there is apparently no place to sit and eat?  Also loud highway noise, which is okay as long as you disclose this in your listing description. And the chemical smell of plug-in air fresheners is not appreciated by your guests. I suggest you take your guests' feedback to heart and try to make some improvements if you want your rating to come up. Guests do say it's a nice spot as far as a wilderness stay, so if you tweak the place to bring the standard up you should be able to get better ratings in the future.