Listing isn't clean

Listing isn't clean

The listing we are staying out is hosted by a "super host" - one of the reasons we chose it.  When we got here yesterday, the listing is only surface level clean.  It's been vacuumed, the bathroom was mopped, the garbage was taken out, linens were changed, and clean towels were out.  However, once we started looking around the apartment, we noticed that it was really clean.  The refrigerator had food left over from the previous guests.  The kitchen is fairly grimy - the hot pot hasn't been wiped down in who knows how long and is greasy, the microwave has finger grease marks on it, the kitchen cabinets have food relics left on them, the inside of the cabinets have crums, there are chip pieces under the couch, and the windows are full of hand and finger prints.

This apartment is "surface level" clean.  The moment you scratch the surface, you see it really isn't clean.  

How do you recommend we proceed?  Try for a partial refund?  Get airbnb involved?

Thanks.

32 Replies 32

I see you are super hostWhy not communicate with the host and let them know your opinion? I can't imagine a guest come in and start a n inspection work instead of just enjoying the trip. 

Hi Helen,

Yes, we started a conversation with the host last night, but they haven't responded.  We've also used the airbnb help centre to report the problem.  The problem is airbnb said, "if we don't hear from the host in 1 hour, you will have the ability to cancel this reservation."  We are in Melbourne, Australia.  We aren't sure where we would go if we cancelled.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Give the host a chance to rectify the situation!  Would you like it if a guest circumvented you and went straight to Airbnb to "tattle" on you before giving you the chance to make them happy with their stay?

I would send the host a message detailing the problems and see their response first.  Most Super Hosts will be mortified and come over themselves to clean or send their cleaning company right away.

Hi there,

I don't really see it as a "tattle."  As a super host myself, I think it's important to give your travellers exactly what they have paid for.  In this case, it's a problem with cleaning surfaces like hot pots, microwaves, wiping down cupboards, ensuring the previous guests food is thrown away, and doing a complete job of vacuuming (no crums under the couch for example).  None of us as guests should have to walk into an apartment and discover cleaning problems.  

It turns out the place we are renting is froma super host as well.  If airbnb gives this rating, they need to know that perhaps this host doesn't really deserve it.  I see it is keeping the communication lines open in the sharing economy between the guest, the host, and airbnb.

As a guest, I've been burned before when communicating only with the host.  We make it our rule now to include the host and airbnb in any discussion.

There is a perspective I would like you to think through:  You have to understand that the 5-star rating that this Superhost got for cleanliness came from however many guests thought that this level of "surface clean" was enough to warrant the best rating.  If you are down on your hands and knees looking under the couch for problems, maybe it is really YOUR issue.  There is no "universal" cleanliness standard with Airbnb and what you receive in Australia may be EXACTLY the best in the area you are traveling - you cannot compare it to your property in Helena or your own level of hosting.  Since you've had issues with being a guest before, from your own admission that you've been "burned" before, you might really think if being an Airbnb guest is for you and maybe you would prefer to stay in a hotel when traveling.  

Very true.  We read through the reviews of this "super host" and many people actually mentioned this place wasn't as clean as it should have been publicly.  Now, it is certainly our error booking the place with those reviews in place.  However, is it not also the responsibility of airbnb to vet a super host?  

I definitely think airbnb is for us.  Overall, we have many more wonderful experiences than sour ones.  

Airbnb "vets" their Super Hosts by their reviews.  Airbnb does not come out to each host's listing to personally inspect it meets some arbitrary cleaning standard.  If previous guests felt fine enough to leave 4-5 starts for Cleanliness, Airbnb has no reason to believe otherwise.

Again, I think you need to talk to the host first before involving Airbnb for something pretty petty (IMO).  If you are THAT disgusted and feel you cannot stay at this listing because of the cleanliness, you need to involve Airbnb to rehome you.

It actually turns out the listing isn't owned by the person who is advertising it on Airbnb.  She just manages the place for the owner.  These are the kinds of situations which often create problems.  

Luckily the host is coming over to do another cleaning.  She admitted her cleaning service isn't the best.  I'm happy she is coming back to get things up to snuff, but we still get incovenienced.

I uploaded a picture of what the tea kettle looks like for you to see:

IMG_2433.JPG

Oh good grief. I have sometimes forgotten something.....just recently I forgot to wipe out the rest of the oven cleaner in the oven! I've left crumbs in the toaster. I do not empty out the cupboards and take out every single cup, plate, pot or cutlery in the kitchen every time a guest leaves. Sometimes there is a dead fly on the windowsill.....etc. I think if I had guests that would make such a detailed inspection when they arrive and then complain to Airbnb and expect some kind of refund I would be very discourage and give them a thumbs down....with the remark that they should have booked a hotel.

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

Absolutely agree Monica. I get issues relating to bugs. I usually apologise that the bugs chose to die in between the cleaner attending the property and them checking in. So incosiderate of the bugs not to schedule their death better.

Hi Monica,

If it was just one thing, I would agree with you.  In this case, it was quite a mess.  We are hosts at well and I think as hosts it is ALWAYS important to keep things clean.  There were at least 15 items that were filthy.  

Alice & Jeff,

I've been thinking more about your reply.  I want to share with you something we have learned:  this listing is managed by a property manager who actually represents 100s of listings in the Melbourne area.  They haven't earned their super host status simply on this one listing, rather it's an amalgamation of all the listings they represent.

The experience is much different as a guest when you find yourself arriving to a listing which is managed by a rental agency rather than a person.  We have found this to be particularly the case when a problem arises with the listing.  The managers typically don't have the authority to refund money, make accomodations, or deal with problems.  They have to contact the owner directly, describe the situation, and then assist.  We've had this problem in Toulouse, Montpellier, and most recently in Melbourne.  

I would love to see airbnb create a disctinction between large management hosts and smaller property owners.  It would help us when booking a reservation.  This is especially true when a "super host" status is not simply applied on a per property basis.  A super host can have 100s of listings.  This begs the question:  were they super hosts for all the properties?  If not, then the guest has no assurances about a particular property.  

We always search by "super host" in order to weed out properties we don't want.  But, in reality, you really aren't getting any gaurantees in doing so.  It doesn't weed out the large management companies.

That is Wrong - yes, capital W. Clean is clean. We all know what that really means. It means no dust under the microwave. No crumbs and hair in the bedframe under the mattress. No toothpaste spatter on the bathroom mirror. No old, crusty spills in the fridge. Cleans means CLEAN. The problem is that many hosts simply don't want to be bothered. But they sure do like collecting those fat cleaning fees.

Crustt0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

The long and short of it is that the place is not that clean, you were mislead by the superhost status, rate it accordingly, if they drop below 80% then obviously other guests rated them lower also, they will not loose there rating because of you, they will loose it cause the did not heed previous reviews that said they were not that clean and pick their game up.