Listing long term rentals only

Evan547
Level 1
Nisswa, MN

Listing long term rentals only

Hello, 

I was hoping to get some help on the subject of listing a vacation rental for long term rentals only. I'd like to rent my place for a min of 1 month but prefer to rent for 6 month stays. How do I set this up?

@Evan547

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Evan547 

You can set the minimum stay to 1 month and set a monthly discount (necessary to appear in the search results for long  term stays). If you prefer stays for several months you can mention it in the listing, but there is no setting for it (maybe increase min. stay to e.g. 2 months ?). You can also set a max. stay, if desired.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Evan547 You really need to be careful doing long term rentals through Airbnb. People who stay more than a month become tenants in most jurisdictions and then fall under landlord/tenant laws and you could have a huge hassle trying to evict someone if you needed to.

Also Airbnb only guarantees the first month's payment, so if the guest then doesn't pay, you would be faced with a scene like I mentioned above.

And Airbnb doesn't hold a real security deposit- if guests cause damage, you have to ask the guest to pay, and if they refuse, try to convince Airbnb to cover the damage, which isn't easy.

Nor can you trust Airbnb's vetting of guests.

In other words, you have none of the safeguards a landlord normally has, like holding a security deposit, getting references, work history, etc.

You would be better off to find a furnished rental site or other venues to advertise on than what is essentially a short term rental site with what has become abyssmal customer service.