Listing on Airbnb in Placerville, CA

Steve3348
Level 1
Oakland, CA

Listing on Airbnb in Placerville, CA

Hi community!

We have a home in Placerville, CA but are unsure whether we can legitimately list it on Airbnb.

Does anyone know what permitting the city requires to host a home?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Steve3348 ! It's been a while since you posted, did you find any more info yet regarding these permits?

Since these regulations can differ on a local level, it might be an idea to ask your question in one of the local Host Clubs as well. You can find them here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Get-Local/ct-p/en_clubs

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Thanks for this resource! Looks like there isn't one in our city but I'll poke around in the Sacramento and Tahoe groups to see if anyone else has encountered the same issue nearby.

Does anyone know how much the fine is if caught operating an Airbnb within the city limits of Placerville, CA.?

Davylyn1
Level 2
South San Francisco, CA

100.00 for the first time. 200.00 for the second time. 500. for each additional time within one year.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Steve3348 Have you considered asking your city? It seems the obvious first step to me but perhaps I am missing something.

I have! It appears the city does not have a vacation rental permit and does not allow owners to Airbnb their home. That said, if you look online there are a number of homes listed on the platform. I'm trying to understand how they've gotten around the policy so I can do the same and list my home legitimately on the platform.

Jordyn26
Level 1
Placerville, CA

Hi @Steve3348  - not sure if you’ve received the update you were looking for. The city limits of Placerville do not allow short term rentals. So you can be in Placerville, but not within the city limits and list for short term. If you are listing on Airbnb in the city limits you can’t book guests for less than 29 days. You can get a permit in El Dorado County though. 

Jordyn | El Dorado, CA