Local Ordinance enforcement

Dee0
Level 2
Green Bay, WI

Local Ordinance enforcement

Recently, the local government is trying to get permits for what they call, transient housing permits. They are trying to stop party homes, but I live in my home 100% of the time, it's my primary residence. So I rent out a room in the home 8-10 times a year.
Anyhow once this goes into effect they will budget $1000, to find violators. They use a 3 party which somehow used airbnb and other sites to identify those they deem in violation. My question is does anyone know how these 3 party tracking companies work? Do they have agents contact the host and book to get out address? Or do they use google maps and identify homes off of listings? Or some other way?
I don't know how the council will hand out permits, but if they lump us all together and deny me the privacy of a guest in my spare room I will be appalled.
5 Replies 5
David324
Level 2
Dorrington, CA

I doubt anything other than reading the ads that come up in the search for your locality is being used to track potential violators. I suggest you carefully read whatever ordinance they are attempting to force and understand how it may or may not apply to you and your home. Also be aware that government agencies that deal with this kind of issue 10 to get away with bullying people, rather than simply enforcing the ordinances in a way that benefits the entire community. Most people don't understand their rights and that you don't have to answer questions or put up with the bullying. Once you've gained an understanding of the ordinance, and if you feel it should not apply to you, console your local counsel person and see where they stand. If they won't take your side, it's important to know that in advance of any litigation you may want to pursue. Anyway don't give up your rights just because they are used to steam rolling people.

Karin5
Level 5
Levittown, PA

I got hit with a zoning violation as well, from a neighbor reporting me. They found my ad. They live 4 doors down so they would not have easily noticed the different cars coming. Suprisingly none of my adjacent neighbors said anything...I would think they would be the first ones to have an issue.

I was told to apply for a variance or cease operations. I thought a variance was nonsense, but the township threatened further enforcement action. I spoke to an attorney and he said "just apply for the variance and it will be resolved". Yeah right. I appeared before a zoning hearing board, and told them all about Airbnb (nobody on the board ever heard of it) The neighbors who came to the meeting opposed, and the board denied my variance. and I am to get a notice to either cease operations or file an appeal.

Geez, I own and live in the house, so it is still being used as a primary residence. I thought it was the non-owner occupied properties that were having issues.

Apparantly there was an ordinance that came out right around the time I was reported, which I never knew about, it says transient "tourist" housing is allowed only in the commercial district. I had my listing up long before there was anything about short-term rentals. I did not think a property would be a transient dwelling if the owner lives in it.

I told the board there are many listings in my town, which they were not aware of. I would think if whoever reported me found my ad, they would have found theirs too. The zoning director tells me "we are going after them and shutting them down". If other hosts fight it then I may be able to get together with them and file an appeal...but if they say it's not worth it and then shut down...then that will not help me.

The appeal goes to my county court. I will have to see if it's worthwhile. it depends how much help I get.

I am heartbroken..i've been doing Airbnb for a year and a half and never had an issue. It's gone well for me, kept me financially stable and I met many nice people.

Sorry... I too received a notice from my town because a neighbor reported me. 

Is anyone aware of any towns where the ordinance permit "short- term Guests?"

Thank you,

Joe

Jay184
Level 2
Portland, ME

Just went to Portland (Maine) City Hall today and registered the Airbnb rental I have in my home. Cost $100 per year and I was informed that I had to not only display the registration number in the rental unit but had to include it in any advertisements for the rental. I do not think the city has legal grounds to require me to alter my Airbnb listing to include a number that's purpose is to convenience their enforcement of registration. Anyone with a similar issue?

[Image removed due to personal information]

I have an airbnb in St Pete Fl. I was hit with a code violation stating "you can Not rent anything less than one month"

Basically putting me out of Business! ( And Potentially everyone else)

There are two Bills in the florida State house.

Please contact your representative !!

We we need to get these bill passed & signed into Law!

StevyG