Location Rating Vent

Emily1452
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Location Rating Vent

I just needed to vent a little about how frustrating the location rating is. I've read other posts about it and can see the frustration amongst hosts. We all agree we can't move our house, but the guest can choose to book somewhere else. We live in an urban neighborhood and can only offer street parking. We are very upfront about this. Parking can be difficult but normally guests seem to do just fine. Once in a while we get a guest who thinks our neighborhood is sketchy,  despite being mostly families, has trouble parking and gives a bad location rating, even though they loved everything else. They never ask us for help, or suggestions, just give us a low star. I charge a lower nightly rate compared to comps in our area because I understand how frustrating that aspect of our rental can be. What's more important, that we are 15 minutes to the airport, or you had to park a block away and walk 5 minutes? If you want everything, spend the extra money and stay at a hotel.

I know Airbnb supposedly doesn't penalize your superhost rating for this, but after this most recent review we went from a 4.95 to a 4.93. That would seem like it's absolutely taking that into account as everything else they gave us 5 stars.

Sorry for the vent, but I appreciate I'm not alone in this feeling.

8 Replies 8
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Emily1452 Need to rant understood.

The overall rating is separate from the individual category ratings and is not affected by them. When you see that number go down, it's due to receiving anything less than 5 overall. You can see the category breakdowns as well as the overall rating you were given, when you go into any individual review.

It's possible that the guests who are ruffled enough about the location may be influenced to award less than 5 overall for that, in addition to a lower location rating. You're doing what you can to let folks know about the potential for parking issues, but Airbnb has made the platform so user unfriendly, that many prospective guests will never see where you note it on the listing. The best thing to do is make sure they are aware of it at booking, by including it in your messages. Then you've really done all you can to be sure all guests are informed and prepared. Then let it go. And keep your perspective. I look at your listing and I see great ratings and reviews. Your response to the most recent review complaining about the parking was professional and constructive. You're doing well. 

Emily1452
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for positive words! 

I can appreciate their feeling that way, j just wish they would have added all the lovely glowing things they told me in their private message to the overall review.

@William810   Sure, one could waste a lot of time trying to silence a guest's valid perspective with unnecessary censorship. Next time anyone is frustrated with the long waiting times for customer service when they have a genuinely pressing issue, they might consider how many fellow hosts are taking up CS's time and resources being obsessive about their reviews or Superhost badges or whatever little thing the Dashboard nags us about. Whenever you're in a traffic jam, you're also the traffic; that ride had better be important.

In defense of unflattering reviews:  they're not very nice for the ego, but when they deter guests who have similar sensitivities and peeves, they can actually increase the odds that future guests will be a suitable fit. They also provide an opportunity to show grace and professionalism in the face of critique (as @Emily1452  demonstrated perfectly), which looks much more impressive to savvy customers than an unblemished record. And a little credit to the customers:  most people are more than capable of taking critical remarks in the broader context and making an educated decision. Those who aren't bright enough to handle a basic task like that, probably shouldn't be trusted with the keys to your house.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Emily1452  I share your frustration.  My listing is the opposite of yours - a rural cabin - and yet people mark it down for location because it is too far from things they want to do.  They have actually taken the time to warn other guests that they might have to drive a bit to get to the local activities.  I recently added the closest Starbucks to my guidebook and noted for reference that it is a 14 hour and 41 minute walk away.  🙂

I've just gotten inured to them and as long as there's a 5 overall, I don't mind as much any more.

Yes, as long as we

get 5 stars overall, I guess we can live with it 🙂👍

Sarah4430
Level 2
Onsdorf, Germany

Yes, the location rating doesn't make sense. Don't they check on the map where they are going beforehand?  

I often get a 4 star location rating but I'm quite upfront in my description in making it clear that it is quite isolated. Ofcourse, walkers and nature lovers love this and give me 5 stars. 

Good to vent 🤣

Marlen26
Level 2
Hyampom, CA

I agree Airbnb has to make the location description more clear. If I am upfront of where the listing is located and give details of that. For me for example I am in the wilderness and the town is very small. Then guest arrive and find it scary. Well why are they giving ME a bad location review when they made a bad choice just so they can safe $$$ (my listing has a lower price because it is so far off the beaten pass). I know it doesnt affect the overall rating but other guest booking WILL see it. So I think it just needs to be made clear, if the booking fits the description but they did not like the location then its their fault and not my fault. It can not go on like this. Airbnb has got to do something. Same for accuracy. I had a guest give me less stars for accuracy because he could not find the river. The river is there 100% I just dont know how he could not find it which 3 different description given, verbal, map and ribbons. OMG