London Flat in poor conditions

London Flat in poor conditions

DearAirBnb,

This is the first time that I feel deceived by a place booked on AirBnb. I understand that I probably should have written about it before, but, again, since it is the first time that it happens, I did not know how to act, and I was staying in London for such a short time, that I did not want to spend time arguing with the owner or having to change places. This is the email that I have just written to the owner/administrator of where I stayed in London. Ironically, the place is called "The Perfect Flat". I would like your feedback about it.

Dear Edi (owner or administrator of the flat),

My colleagues and I talked about it, and we consider that your place does not meet what is advertised on AirBnb. Sure, the beds are in there, and the kitchen, etc., but the place was utterly dirty. One of the bunk beds caused one of my colleagues a rash, there was what appeared to be dried blood on the sofa bed, the doubled bed was broken, and the kitchen was sticky as if it had not been cleaned in a while. In addition, the only amenities that were there were the blankets and towels; there was no soap, shampoo, and as for toilet paper, there was only a roll that was almost finished. Sure, the pictures met what we saw, but the conditions do not. With all due respect, we feel that we were deceived. Why didn't we contact you about it? Well, how can you not know that the place you are renting is in such a condition. I have been using AirBnb for years, and this is the first time that I feel, as I said before, deceived.

Best regards,

Daniel Gamboa

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If a place is not as described you should mention it  (providing photos of the bed, kitchen etc. ) within 24 hours of arrival and give the host a chance to fix the issue. @Daniel7129  

There is a huge surplus of accommodation in London so it would have been relatively straightforward for Airbnb to help you find somewhere else.

Why would you stay somewhere with a broken bed and dirty kitchen?

Anyway in this case do leave an honest public review of your experience so other guests are warned.

Hi Helen,

Thank you for your feedback. Again, this is the first time this has happened to me and we stayed in London for only two nights to be waiting for replies and changing places. My friends' rash and the dried blood was the icing on the cake on our last morning before checking out. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Daniel7129  You are quite right that if a place is filthy, it's likely that the host simply doesn't care and may not do anything about it (although there are instances where unbeknowst to the host, the cleaner simply didn't show up or did a slack job). But there is still a protocol to follow, which is to notify the host first to give them an opportunity to correct it. If they aren't responsive, you then contact Airbnb, let them know the place is unacceptable and ask to be rehomed to a comparable listing (without the filth, though). Continuing to stay without doing these things asssumes that the place was okay enough for you to remain there.

I do understand, though, the dilemma of having only a one or two night booking and not wanting the hassle of having to relocate.

It's okay that you messaged the host about the unacceptable experience. Now just leave an honest review to warn future guests.