London not permitted to host on Airbnb

London not permitted to host on Airbnb

Hi all

I am fairly a new Airbnb host and have already hosted couple of stays.

My husband and I own a two bedroom flat in London which we are looking to let out on a permanent long term basis. However in the interim while we find tanants we wanted to host on Airbnb.

Recently we received a letter from our management company we are not permitted to short term let e.g. on Airbnb.

We own the Flat but have a lease on the ground which we pay a ground rent for.

What I want to know is why are we permitted for long term letting but not short term. It seems very unfair there is alreday a 90day law for private short term letting in London anyway. 

I have blocked out my calendar because of this and also to do some renovations before we have tenants but I would like to host again as I don’t know how long it will take to find tenants.

I don’t know if anyone else is facing this issue?

I would very much appreciate some advice on this matter.

Thanks 

Sumaya

3 Replies 3

Regardless of the laws, your apartment management company does have the right to prohibit short-term renting. 

Thanks for your reply Helen.

But why is that? I haven’t come across this issue anywhere else in London I just want to know if this is legit.

Yes I am renting the ground but the apartment is mine and I should be able to do as I wish. 

If I am permitted to rent on long term babsis then what is the problem with short term rental? 

Insurance ? Assuming they have a whole building policy it would be invalidated by STR.