Long term cancellation policy

Louise11
Level 1
Vermont, United States

Long term cancellation policy

A guest has requested a 30 day stay 4 months from now.  I'd like to send them a custom cancellation policy, but can't figure it out.  Airbnb has automatically applied the "long term" cancellation policy, which is too strict for only 30 days.

4 Replies 4
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Louise11,

Since this is a request, why don't you just have the guest make a new request for two 15 day stays?  What is it that you think is too strict about the "long term" cancellation policy?

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Louise11 My understanding is that the Long Term Stay Cancellation policy overrides all other cancellation policies.  Check with Airbnb, but if your guest cancels you can refund a portion of their payment, less of course the Airbnb fees. They will always keep their cut.  Extenuating circumstances also apply. 

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

@Louise11

Keep in mind that you as the host can always choose to refund any particular guest more than they would get refunded by the cancellation policy that applies. Long term cancellation policy always applies to reservations over 28 days and you can't change that, but what you can do is tell the guest that if they cancel, you will refund them  X amount -- whatever you think is fair.  Or like Deb and Dave say you can have them book the reservation as two 15 day reservations, instead of one 30 day one, which would thereby put them on your chosen cancellation policy and not the long term cancellation policy.  

Louise11
Level 1
Vermont, United States

thanks for everyone that checked in.  Good to know that I'm not missing something about changing the policy from my end.  I will just have to re-assure the people that I can refund some of their money up to a certain point - by verbal agreement.  The way the policy stands now, they would get no refund for the 31 days they paid for.  That is the long term policy.

2 stays of 15 days each isn't that great an idea because this is Portland, Oregon and they add on an 11.5% rooms tax for any reservation under 31 days, which adds up to a couple hundred dollars.

Louise