Long term hosting - how to behave

Answered!
Jelena17
Level 2
Belgrade, Serbia

Long term hosting - how to behave

Hello 🙂
When I have short term guest, I give them clean sheat and towels,
detergent for dishes an wash mashine, toilet paper , etc.
I clean the house before and after thay stay.
What should I do with long term guest?
They have their own wash maschine. But they after 5 days ask for
more detergent, toilet papers and clean towels.
I think, if they live there for month or two,
they need to take care of apartment by them self.
What do you think?

Thank you 🙂

1 Best Answer
Donna37
Level 5
Gourhel, France

Two month guests get clean sheets and towels, with a set of spare for when they are washing the originals. They get a starter pack of toilet paper and detergent, then they supply on their own. When the length of time is 2 months that is a long term rental and as such the host is not obligated to supply paper goods or cleaning supplies for clothing, sheets etc. Tell them you will clean bathroom and kitchen once per week, but other than that they are on their own. 

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Jay68
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Your very nice! 2 months long term stay, that's there apartment, I had a month booking and I supplied enough toliet paper but I did offer once a week cleaning after ever 7 days but guess that should include washing there towels and its best to do because you can be nosy to check on your place 😉 

You should write what you want in your terms and conditions and have them agree to your cleaning and provisions protocol before accepting their booking.  Standard practice for accommodation providers seems to be towels every 4 days (or provide extras) and cleaning weekly.  Make sure you adjust your long term discount according to what you are going to offer.  A limited supply is often called a "starter pack" which means they have enough until they have time to go to the shop and get their own.

Hard to say now what you should do as 2 months is a long time.  I think if the supplies are just $30 or $40 it is not worth creating a bad atmosphere in a space you have to share.  Perhaps make your expectations clearer for future guests and chalk it up to learning.  Hopefully they are nice people and you will enjoy their company.

I concur with Lisa -- if the supplies are reasonably inexpensive to provide, then do so.  One can find decent, really inexpensive laundry detergent etc at certain 'dollar' stores (as I'm writing this, I'm not sure if it is appropriate for hosts to recommend specific products, services, or businesses, so will refrain from mentioning specific businesses).  

Another option if to clarify up front that you will provide ___ (number) ounces of laundry detergent (i.e., one 32-oz bottle of liquid laundry detergent) per week or some similar standard.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

With any longer stay it all has to be agreed on in advance. Such as cleaning service etc. I say yes, absolutely you have to keep up their supply to a standard. The rent is inclusive unless otherwise stated. But other hosts more used to this might have other ideas?

Donna37
Level 5
Gourhel, France

Two month guests get clean sheets and towels, with a set of spare for when they are washing the originals. They get a starter pack of toilet paper and detergent, then they supply on their own. When the length of time is 2 months that is a long term rental and as such the host is not obligated to supply paper goods or cleaning supplies for clothing, sheets etc. Tell them you will clean bathroom and kitchen once per week, but other than that they are on their own. 

Erentalsurvey0
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

The usual for a "self catering home" is to provide the basics. When the guest arrives can have a shower or put the washing machine on.

Once they are settled in they should buy their own things.

This would be a text you can use for your house rules:

"Supplies of general foods such as pasta, cereal, rice, oil, tinned tuna etc. are in the kitchen so there's no need to go shopping as soon as you arrive (We simply ask guests to replace what they finish). Please remind this is a self-catering home."

I leave enough snacks coffe, tea, fruit butter, etc , spare sheets and towels and a lot of toilet paper,

but they are on their own after that. I have had thre over 30 day guests, all ages,and none has complained.

There is a good supply of laundry detergent left by other guests, so they have that.

Charlie159
Level 2
St Paul, MN

My place is set up only with a small fridge, microwave, coffee, tea.   My guests  do not get access to a washing machine and kitchen, yet I get requests for longer term stays of 2 weeks to a month.  When guest arrive, I give two sets of towels and two sets of sheets, and I offer to trade for clean linens at the end of 7 days.  I have cleaning supplies under the sink for the guests to clean up after themselves, paper towels, and a full pack of toilet paper.  I do not offer cleaning service during the stay, but wondering if I should?  Any advice on what others are doing in that situation would be greatly appreciated.

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Jelena17  @Charlie159  @Lara16  @Amy38  @Erentalsurvey0

Once again, forum to the rescue.

I thought about this topic recently becaue I have a guest coming next month for over 20 days and it will be my longest stay for a guest since I began.

I value all the advice and concur with most of it.

I'm thinking of composing a "Saved Msg" to send to guests just before they arrive laying out what expectations will be during their 20 day stay.

I worry about guests expecting Hotel like services in an AirBnB as so many new people are using the platform. 

However, I guess that if a guest could find a hotel suite comparable to my 2 bed, 1000 sq. ft AirBnB they'd be paying $7 to $10K versus the 70 to 75% less through AirBnB.

I lean toward stocking up for this guest enough toilet paper and laundry detergent for what I estimate would be sufficient for the duration of her stay and state that and the guest is responsible for any further supplies when that is depleted.

As for cleaning I will offer the guest a once per week cleaning of the unit and washing of sheets and towels.  That would amount to two cleaning sessions and should satisfy the guest.

Thanks for the discussion forum members.

Thumbs up if you like a post.

@John1574  You are generous.  My place has a washer and dryer and a small shoulder vacuum.

there are plenty of extra towels and sheets and toilet paper, etc.  All detergents and supplies are provided with spares.  At that point they are on their own.  I have had  about half a dozen guests for 1-2 months and all reviews have been positive.

I take the garbage weekly as it lets me check the place and the garbage cans are awkward to access.

Charlie159
Level 2
St Paul, MN

As i dont have a washer and dryer, I offer a change of bed linen and towels once a week, and that includes 2 sets of towels and 2 sets of sheets for the guest for the week.  Also like Amy, I have all the cleaning supplies and a small vacuum for guests to clean up after themselves.  I find it really hard to consider a weekly cleaning service when I go to do the linen exchange and the guest's belongings are all over the place..i.e clothes on the bathroom floor, every surface in the living area covered with personal items.  No thanks!

Teresa1299
Level 1
Pearland, TX

Please help!!!
I need advice as well. We are renting out two rooms in our home. One of which is currently rented out for 3 months. I have two issues:

1-Short term guests are complaining that the long term guests are very loud at 5am and have lots of lights on(while getting ready for work)  Quiet times are on my listing. I have asked them to be mindful of other guests but this doesn’t seem to help.  
2-How do you keep supplies out for short term guests but expect the long term guests to get their own? For example, coffee/coffee supplies, paper towels, TP. 
I definitely feel that supplying the long term guests with a weeks worth is plenty. After that, they should supply their own. They have two sets of sheets and access to the washer/dryer. I left 5 rolls of TP and in two days it was gone.....

Also,  My mother in law cleans the home once a week but I have asked that the long term guests take the trash out and clean up after themselves.   I feel that is fair. 
We are new to hosting and trying to find a balance. Any advice would be nice:) 

Julie3734
Level 1
Overland Park, KS

@Charlie159 On this same topic, I am renting a property for 2 months.  There is no cleaning provided, except for when arrive and depart.  which is fine, I don't mind cleaning as I am picky.  The owner does not have a vacuum cleaner. We will be driving 24 hours to get to the location and do not have room to bring one.  Is it reasonable for me to ask the owner to provide a vacuum cleaner, mop and basic cleaning supplies if they want their property maintained during those 2 months?  Pets are allowed, we are bringing a dog so we will need to vacuum almost daily. 

I am prepared to buy my own paper towels, TP, and toiletries beyond the normal 1 week rental time. 

Appreciate any advise on what we should expect regarding cleaning supplies in a 2 month rental.  

We arrive Jan 1 so I need to come to a resolution soon.

Thanks.

That sounds quite reasonable to me. Things like a mop and pail and a vacuum cleaner, i.e. cleaning equipment, really should be provided, but perhaps you paying for your own products, like cleansers, bleach, etc. It doesn't have to be some fancy vacuum cleaner- an inexpensive Shopvac works fine ad would be good considerig the dog hair.

And it also sounds quite strange that the host doesn't have a vacuum cleaner- I wonder how they actually do a thorough cleaning job without it.

@Julie3734