Long term reservations - good or bad?

Answered!
Tommy198
Level 3
Barcelona, ES

Long term reservations - good or bad?

Hi There

I received a request for a long term arrangement (3-6 months)  from a guest with a pet. I have two rooms in a house, and usually rent out per bed/ per room. There are 2 rooms, 2 single beds in each room.

They are only willing to pay 70% (budget limit) of the price as it currently stands. I am assuming this is the monthly rental they were charged, but that flat is currently being sold, and they are now searching on airbnb.

They also don't want other airbnb guests coming in and out because of their pet. Assuming I allow him to have the room, I would still like to rent out the other room over the time they are there on airbnb. I have noticed a Host left a remark that there were issues that were resolved with him and the friends they invited.

Would anyone agree to this arrangement ?

Any advice would be helpful.

1 Best Answer
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Tommy198 

In the rental market sometimes the flat being sold is a coded word for getting rid of a troublesome tenant...

Why should you pick up a 30% discount?

Another thing keep an eye on your local rental Byelaws your potential Guest could end up with a right to stay indefinitely if you're not careful.

Who's going to mind the dog when there out at work? and if there not out at work, can you afford to cover the utility bills. 

You've seen one red flag don't go there with this potential guest for warned is for armed.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Tommy198 

In the rental market sometimes the flat being sold is a coded word for getting rid of a troublesome tenant...

Why should you pick up a 30% discount?

Another thing keep an eye on your local rental Byelaws your potential Guest could end up with a right to stay indefinitely if you're not careful.

Who's going to mind the dog when there out at work? and if there not out at work, can you afford to cover the utility bills. 

You've seen one red flag don't go there with this potential guest for warned is for armed.

Thank you @Cormac0 

I really appreciate you replying. The "flat being sold" should have being the red flag. But they were just so gosh darn nice in their approach !

The pet will be an issue for any other guest. They are working in the city nearby, so, yeah, who minds the dog.

The utility bills will become an issue down the line, at which point if I say something, local municipal by-laws come into play; where the guest/ tenant will have a right to stay unless I can find them another place at the same rental, in the same area.

The 30% discount for an extended period is not looking pretty.

"For warned is for armed."

Thanks for helping me out, I had a real issue last night. As they were so persistent in wanting to view today. I'm going to shut it down, and not head down a potential dangerous path.

Thanks a  million @Cormac0 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This request has red flags all over it @Tommy198 

I wouldn't even consider it.

Why would you want a guest who a) wants a 30 per cent discount for one room b) wants to bring a pet c) doesn't want you to let out the other room. d) who is wanting to bring a pet but won't be there to look after it.

This guest is much more suitable for a whole listing.

If they don't want you to let the other room, they need to pay for both.

Just say no.

Lawrence168
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

This to me is a no-brainer, while having 3-6 months of guaranteed revenue has its attractions, this is still an easy decision: NO NO NO (in my humble opinion).  Guests can haggle, it's their right to ask but you need to (as it is with any sales process) maintain control.  I would never let a guest dictate my price.  I negotiated a 3 week stay last year with a guest and was happy enough with the outcome but after that was done, I made a promise to myself that I would never do that again just for a guaranteed revenue stream because I made almost double this year during that time frame on short term rentals.  And on top of it, they want to control what you do with the other room and take 30% of your revenue away.  I suppose its within their right to ask for that type of consideration although I find it a bit ignorant and somewhat selfish on there part when they are demanding such a discount.  If it were me, I'd send them a special offer what I want and then dont say another word.  One of the golden rules in sales is the first one who talks loses.  Once you present the price, let them counter with whatever and if it's still way to far off from your price, maybe come down a hair and leave it at that. 

The only caveat to this is if you aren't getting a lot of business and need the revenue then you have a hard choice to make, otherwise, most likely, I'm telling them to go pound sand with those demands. 

I would like to give some feedback so that it will be helpful while booking a place through airbnb. My son was moving to a small town in Wisconsin and I started looking for a place in some websites. There were some 2 bedroom houses available at $800 per month in truila. There were some shared rooms available at $300 per month on craiglist. Most of the rooms that were available on airbnb were only for short term. Since my son was moving for 6 months, I thought it was not good idea to sign a lease for one year and lease an apartment. One bed room 600 Square Feet apartment can be available at $600 per month in that city. While I was reading feedback on airbnb, I thought it is good idea to reserve a room for 6 months through airbnb. We realized that it was our bad decision because when we reached to the small town and looked at the room which is hardly a 100 square feet and the price we have paid is $800 per month and $5000 for 6 months. The house is not in great condition, the kitchen and appliances look too old and the bathroom is the worst one. Once we reached there and looked at the bathroom, my son was disappointed so much and my wife cleaned it properly so that my son can use the bathroom. We also decided to stay for a night in that house just to make sure that we have enough time to spend with son, they had one more room available and we paid $50 per night. The owner used candle wax to stick one part of the bed which felt on my wife's feet and she was hurt. Anyone looking to reserve a room for long term, we would suggest not to book for long term, just book for a night or for a week, then decide once you reach to the place the see all the options available.

@Tul146Yes, it is true, but this doesn't have anything to do with Airbnb. When you rent (or buy) any space sight unseen you are taking a huge risk. My family has long term apartments and we refuse to rent them to a tenant who hasn't done a personal walkthrough.