Looking for a handyman (or woman) in London, UK.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Looking for a handyman (or woman) in London, UK.

Hello, can anyone recommend a competent and reliable handyman in London. If they are local to South London (I am in SW9), that would be even better!

I have a large house where there are always small jobs to do and my mother also has plenty of work that needs doing. By this, I don't necessarily mean hanging pictures or those simple jobs that I can do myself. I am looking for someone who is able to do repairs, find solutions to problems and ideally has some skills, e.g. plumbing or carpentry.

I am not looking for a builder who is only interested in big projects (I know those already) but someone who is happy to do a series of small jobs. If they can provide paperwork, that would be perfect.

If you know anyone, please message me!

24 Replies 24
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Huma0 

I have got all my handymen/woman, cleaners, plumbers, builders,painters from local FB groups for my area.

I bet you have some in your part of London, why not give them a try.  I always get lots of good recommendations.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Helen3. I had not thought about that but will take a look!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Huma0  I hope you are well!

Have you heard of AirTasker? I use it when I need small odd jobs doing.

You post a task- what you need doing, and the price you're offering for the task to be done and then you'll get taskers bidding for the job!

All taskers are reviewed (as are those who post tasks) so you know what you're getting! If you find someone really good you can keep their details and work with them again.

It's a great way of finding affordable, local support.

Paul 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Paul1255 , I'm well thanks and you?

I will have a look at AirTasker and give it a go. I have tried similar sites for builders etc. and it wasn't a good experience and also for cleaners - again, not a good experience.

However, I do normally use those types of sites for couriers/furniture movers and they have been great, so I'm open to giving it a try. I even used a site like that to get an emergency at home massage when I had some very bad neck and shoulder pain and that was also all good.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm well thanks @Huma0  busy busy with the Airbnb co-hosting madness!

I've never had any problems with taskers- had a guy out this afternoon to repair a broken shower in a hosts listing.

I always go with taskers who have solid reviews and have been tasking for a decent amount of time, but I guess with all these types of sites (Airbnb included ahah) things can go wrong.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul1255 

That's good to know. Will definitely give it a go. The guys I know keep promising to come round to fix stuff and then don't get back to me...

Do you find you get quite a lot of responses when you post?

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0  that's a shame with your guys 😞 

As long as you set a decent/market rate for your task you get good and decent responses- most will be local to you so can be with you pretty quickly.

I needed help installing my new ring doorbell before Xmas and a guy was here in about 30 mins!

Payment is made through the site- and you only release payment when you're satisfied with the work done...I think thay helps with the reliabilty/standard of work issue 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul1255  that certainly sounds good re not paying until your satisfied with the job. Some of the problems I need fixing were actually created by tradespeople I got in to fix something else!

I'm not sure about setting the rate though. I don't always know what the rate should be for certain jobs and need to compare quotes to do so.

For example, on the sites I've used for man with a van jobs, you post the details of the job and then people can bid for them. For the same delivery, I might get quotes ranging from £36 to £186! Plus, it's not necessarily the ones with the lower quotes that are newer/have less reviews or offer a poor service. I don't go for the lowest quote, but I go for the lowest one with 100% positive reviews and lots of them. So far that has worked really well.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0  sounds like you've encountered some tricky trades people..yikes!

Yes, I can see how for certain jobs you'd not be sure on the rate- mine are usually small, not complicated (but clearly too complicated for me) and I tend to think about how long it might take to work out a price- though taskers can still make an offer..I posted my doorbell job for £15, I got it done for that and quickly, but a guy messaged offering to do it for £50 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul1255  Don't even get me started on trades people. It's not that I don't know good ones, it's just that they're never interested in small jobs or just don't have the time for them.

I guess then if you are posting the job for too little, the taskers will maybe respond with a more realistic rate. However, if you are posting it for too much, your offer will likely get accepted and you'll never know! I suppose if it's what you are willing to pay, then it doesn't really matter.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0  yes this is true, I suppose it does boil down to what we are willing to pay.

I guess with AirTasker, people have other jobs as well so you can add to your income, I think the guy who did my doorbell was a contractor between work, and I guess if it's local to you and you have time why wouldn't you.

There are sites where people work by the hour, like Task Rabbit- but when I have a 10 min job that doesn't work out well price-wise.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul1255 

That makes sense. Some of these jobs are so small so I'm a bit clueless as to what to pay for them.

Anyway, I have signed up and posted my first job. It's to replace the rubber seal at the bottom of the shower cubicle door (I would pay for the new seal) and tighten the hinges. It's a simple and quick job for someone who knows what they are doing and a nightmare for someone who doesn't!!! So, I have posted it at £35. No idea if that is in the right ballpark, but let's see...

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0  I try and think how long it might take, and think about London living wage (think it's £10.55 p/h) to give a bit of an idea to myself and then add a bit on depending on what is required and how soon...all very technical!

Hope it goes well and you pick a good tasker who does a great job for you 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul1255 

Thank you. I actually used the price guide on the website and picked the hourly price suggested for a professional rather than amateur as I think someone who knows what they are doing could sort the job within half an hour.

If I have any luck, I would happily ask them to quote me for other jobs are as there are plenty!