Looking for a host that will allow me to throw a mini party

Jaquetta0
Level 1
Paterson, NJ

Looking for a host that will allow me to throw a mini party

Hello I am looking for a host that is willing to allow me to throw a party. It can be inside or outside if you do have a backyard. I’m just looking for a home to throw my son second birthday, only looking to bring 20 people to attend. Anyone?

20 Replies 20

@Debra300  I agree. Not feeling okay about accepting a reservation from someone who thinks that a profile photo of themselves in scanty attire, holding a gun, giving the finger to the camera, is conducive to being seen as a suitable guest, has nothing to do with discrimination, and I would be extremely wary of a booking from that person regardless of their sex, race, nationality, etc. 

It just indicates a certain level of cluelessness or simply not caring how they are perceived, that is likely to extend to other aspects of their booking and stay. 

We may walk around our own homes naked, but we don't go answer the door in that state of non-attire. We may favor short-shorts and a bikini top when going on a picnic with friends, but we aren't going to present ourselves like that when applying for a job as a daycare teacher. We may jokingly give our brother the finger when he razzes us about something, but we don't do that to the grocery store clerk because she tells us to have a nice day when we are in a bad mood.

Discrimination has to do with our attitudes towards a person based on the things about them that are part of who they are- the color of their skin, their sexual orientation, their disability- it has nothing to do with how they choose to present themselves.  

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Welcome to the Airbnb online community centre @Jaquetta0  -I’m sure you’ve got the vibe already- it’s a world where anyone can belong 😊

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

Project Lighthouse. 
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/a-new-way-were-fighting-discrimination-on-airbnb-...

Introducing Project Lighthouse to uncover, measure, and overcome discrimination.

The long story being the diminishing of the rights of hosts to view profile photos and names based on perceived discrimination.

That ‘perceived’ part I mentioned, leaves little evidence to prove here.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0,

Okay, thanks for the link.  What type of research do you hope or think is being conducted with OPs post?

@Debra300 

This is another Level1 post isn't it. It wasn't long before the dark mist descended and profile pictures were being criticised... as is often the case

It was @Mark116 who suggested the idea the post might be part of some Airbnb algo research project - and there is one active, so it could be that. Lighthouse explains what the research is about.

@Jaquetta0   Airbnb is designed for overnight accommodation, not event rentals.

The site that would better serve your needs is called Peerspace.  Owners there are much better prepared to cater to your event needs than an Airbnb host. Additionally, there's a far greater likelihood that they'll be able to facilitate the distancing and hygiene measures necessary to protect your child and loved ones at a time when social gatherings are still high-risk.