Loss of Income Due to Guests Bad Behavior

Answered!
Roger-and-Lisa1
Level 2
West Davenport, NY

Loss of Income Due to Guests Bad Behavior

For the first time in 3 yrs we were put in a situation where we felt we had to have guest/group leave. We specialize in 7 day bookings for the baseball camps in NY. About 95% of our bookings are baseball families from all over the country. 

We we have an 8 person max. but the guests felt it was ok to have ten in her group because she counted 7 beds! Since they flew in we offered a flat rate for the extra guests. They refused to pay. Later that evening we learned they had gone into spaces marked ‘private’. The kicker: when asked to leave by Airbnb the guest drive up our drive blasting their horn, scaring our horses!  

Since they only stayed 2 nights (due to their bad behavior) we’re only paid for those 2 nights...even though there’s no way we could rent out the remaining week.  So we lost that income. 

Has this occurred to anyone else? If so, we’d love your thoughts on this.

Thanks & Happy Hosting!

Roger & Lisa

1 Best Answer

@Marie82 

thank you for this info. I know VRBO takes an actual deposit so their guests are more careful about the damages.

I just wonder what happens if the guest makes the host uncomfortable and the host needs to terminate his stay? Does VRBO refund the guest for the days not spent?

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Roger-and-Lisa1 

That loss of income is a bummer! But they're gone. Good riddance! You have probably avoided a heap load of trouble.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Roger-and-Lisa1  yes, that's how Airbnb rewards bad guests for breaking house rules, making damages, etc.. no wonder it becomes a synonym for a party house

I would like to know how VRBO and booking.com handle such situations?

@Roger-and-Lisa1 sorry to hear that but unfortunately, that occurs a lot on ABB, guests bringing extra guests and hoping to get away with it.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  to answer your Q, i read a few months ago that some young guests booked a booking.com listing for few guests and end up trashing the place beyond belief (huge Party), and when the host approaches booking.com nothing was done till he reaches the main media outlet, and strangely action was taken to cover the damage. The pictures were shocking of the level of destruction just for a weekend trip.  

VRBO touch wood up to now I had no issue with them I have set high deposit fees who usually given back 1 week after guests depart. With VRBO sending a message if no damage reported the money will be a return to guests. And many of them leave apartment spotless. 

@Marie82 

thank you for this info. I know VRBO takes an actual deposit so their guests are more careful about the damages.

I just wonder what happens if the guest makes the host uncomfortable and the host needs to terminate his stay? Does VRBO refund the guest for the days not spent?

Roger-and-Lisa1
Level 2
West Davenport, NY

To be clear: Our home is normally booked for the entire summer (13 weeks is all we book) a year in advance. The demand is high here because of the baseball tournaments throughout the summer. Airbnb has stood behind us about 85% of the time where damage has been done.

The frustration is the damages here are monetary. The guests flat out lied. We watched 10 people go in and out of our home. They lied to Airbnb when they tried to collect on our behalf. So it’s their word against ours. 

The message this sends is this: You can ignore the hosts rules, lie and frighten our horses and we’ll reward you with another home to stay in and your money back! Meanwhile, we lose that income.

We’re so bothered by this that we’ve only listed our home for induction week next year and that’s it. 

While I understand you trying to 'hit Airbnb where it hurts', @Roger-and-Lisa1,  the fact of the matter is they don't care. Hosts are ten a penny and your 'action' to penalise them is short of insignificant. 

Gordon, we appreciate your feed back but our actions are not and attempt to “penalize” Airbnb. Our choice to to close the summer dates next year is our action to protect ourselves and our home and our animals. If we can’t trust Airbnb to do that then we bow out.

Again, thank you for your feedback.