Lost Superhost for the first time in five years...

Ryan368
Level 6
Colorado Springs, CO

Lost Superhost for the first time in five years...

Today, I was notified that I'd lost my Superhost status. I host some of the busiest, and probably nicest rentals in Colorado Springs. So, how did I lose it you might wonder. Well, because all summer AirBnB has sent me some of the worst guests on the planet. Repeatedly, they have come with additional guests, broken house rules, shown up early, and damaged my property... and I had the audacity to let them know that was not okay. 

Your review system is broken. It has always been sort of broken but this summer has been especially bad. All I have to do to get a bad review is let a guest know (like my current guest who registered with 3 and showed up with 9) that they need to pay the guest fee for their many additional guests and I'll get a 3 star review which essentially wipes out my rating. 

First, guests with no reviews should have their negative reviews looked at before they are posted. I'm sorry, but when you let a person with no reviews, who lives in the same city as my rental reserve my house... it's generally a recipe for disaster. You know it. I know it. Yet, AirBnB would rather take their money than ensure that I host a quality guest.

Second, I require ID and picture verification. Yet, half of the guests you send have fake pictures and non legal names... How is this being verified?

I've been with AirBnB a long time. I have enjoyed the revenue. I wont lie. But, it is becoming more and more obvious that I need to move on. You asked me to be a neighborhood ambassador (three times). I ran the local AirBnB group in the city... but honestly, I'm sort of at the end of my rope here. Please be better.

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ryan368  Airbnb does not send you guests. It is your choice to accept guests or not. If you want more control, turn off Instant Book so guests have to send a request. Then you read their reviews if they have any, read the reviews they have left for past hosts, and communicate with them, reminding them if your rules,  before deciding whether to accept or decline.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry to hear this. As @Sarah977  says it is you who is choosing and vetting your guests, not Airbnb. If you are consistently getting guests who are not a good fit for your place then review your vetting processes.

And invest in person check in's so you can check photo ID on arrival. @Ryan368 

In your latest example, why did you let nine guests check in when only three have booked. I do hope you have now obtained payment for the the additional six guest as it appears you have let them stay.

Airbnb is simply one channel you can use to promote your STR business (all be it the largest).