Lost my own housing and need my rental back temporarily

Veerle8
Level 2
Penobscot, ME

Lost my own housing and need my rental back temporarily

I unfortunately unexpectedly lost my own housing and have a child living with me.

I have nowhere to go right now.I will need my rental back ASAP.

I have about 8 or 9 bookings coming up. What are my options? What can I do?

I am a superhost, worked so hard this past year to become one.

I feel horrible about possibly having to cancel all those reservations...but what are my options??

THis is a bad situation for my child and myself and I need help! Any advice greatly appreciated! 

Thank you!

11 Replies 11
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Your first port of call would be to call Airbnb, and sharpish, @Veerle8. Giving the guests the best chance of securing a new listing has to be your number one priority (behind that of your own personal circumstances). Dependent on the reason behind your situation, Airbnb may charge you a 'fine' per reservation. 

I think it's safe to say you can kiss your Superhost status goodbye, but this seems the least of your worries. 

Good luck. Hope things work out for you. 

Veerle8
Level 2
Penobscot, ME

I already emailed my first guests and apologized sincerely and hope they can try to find another place to stay. They have a week left before their trip so hopefully there is still a chance for them to find something nice.. It was a very hard decision to make but I have no other option at this time. I am trying to find new housing before my next guests arrival which is 2 weeks from now. So, I am hoping to just have to  cancel one reservation. I of course already lost my SuperHost status but like you said, Gordon, that is the least of my worries. I am trying to do the right thing. Thanks for the response!

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Veerle8 you can't just transfer your reservations to another property. You need to inform all your guests now that they won't be staying at the place they booked and if they choose to trust you to find another place then you can keep the reservations, if not you need to cancel them. In case of cancelation it is best to call Airbnb and possibly have them cancel penalty free. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Veerle8  you absolutely do not have to lose your  status. This qualifies for extenuating circumstances. You should explain customer service that. You are also allowed several penalty free cancellations per year. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Without knowing the facts, @Inna22, I'm not sure how accurate your assumption that >>This qualifies for extenuating circumstances<< is. 

And "8 or 9 bookings" is, in my book at least, more than 'several'. 

Let's hope this has a positive outcome all the same. 

@Gordon0

from what I have read here, CS cancelled months worth of reservations for guests when something serious like this happened to hosts. However @Tim-and-Holly0 makes a very good point

Hey Gordon, I only had to cancel one booking so far and I am doing everything I can not to have to cancel any more. I making progress as far as finding alternative housing for myself and my son. I am hoping to just stick to the one cancellation. Wish me luck! 

Veerle

Thanks, Inna. I am not sure though if this qualifies for Extenuating circumstances. I looked at the requirements for that and it doesn't look like my situation is mentioned anywhere. I only had to cancel one reservation so far and I am doing everything I can to keep it that way. Hoping I will find something soon! Thanks for the tip!

@Veerle8 

Airbnb couldn't list all extenuating circumstances in their TOS, life is unpredictable.

Contact them, explain what happened and ask if they could cancel your upcoming bookings without any penalties for you. ABB reps are also humans and are usually very understanding regarding e.c. especially if you have with a child with you.

@Veerle8:
Not sure why you have to cancel your reservations. At $199 per night you and your child could stay in another, cheaper Airbnb for the nights guests are in your home.

Thanks, TIm. That is what I am doing right now.... trying to find an altnerative for us. I had to cancel the first booking as it was a week away from my guests' arrival and I didn't want jeapordize my guests' trip last minute. As I have another 9 days before the next guests arrive, I am pretty confident I will find something before my next guests arrive. Thanks for the tip!