Lotf of looks but few bookings

Margaret-and-James0
Level 2
Marina Del Rey, CA

Lotf of looks but few bookings

Hello all and happy Friday, 

We are new hosts and just posted our place last month. So far we have gotten ~700 views but only 5 bookings. Our place is located about 35 miles from Aspen Colorado and about 6 miles from another local ski resort which makes us very seasonal. So far there is a lack of snow but I would have expected more bookings. We have a 4 bedroom place with 5 beds that can easily sleep 10. Don't exactly have the money for a pro photographer yet but working on it. If anyone would be so kind to take a look at our listing and let me know your thoughts (good bad or ugly) we would greatly appreciate it as we are very new to all of this. The 2 guests we have had so far had great reviews so hoping for more soon. Thanks! 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/53345911?preview_for_ml=true&source_impression_id=p3_1638549962_2808M%2...

11 Replies 11
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That sounds fairly normal to have that  many views with five bookings.

When you say you would have expected more bookings - what research did you do around supply and demand in your area for your type of property for this time of year? @Margaret-and-James0 

Hi Helen, 

Thank you for the reply. Since we are in a small town there are only 8-10 properties that can accommodate parties 7-10. Before we listed the property i was able to talk to the majority of them, that it actually how I was able to get my cleaner as well. There are two on the same road that we are on about 2 miles up (closer to the ski mountain). According to them, and I have no way of confirming this, they were booked almost every day through the end of January. I have read that a standard conversation rate on AirBnb is 2-3.3% and we are at .9. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Margaret-and-James0  I'm not sure that the conversion rate is really 2-3%.

I found the wide angle shots to be kind of disconcerting, I understand what you were trying to do but in most of those shots it was not necessary and has a distorted feeling.  I would also try and do reshoots on a sunny day or with all the lights on.

The kitchen also looks really bland, maybe add some color with curtains and brighter accessories there.

@Mark116 thank you for the input that does make sense. I can see how the wide-angle could post some problems. I think I will also take better pics of the kitchen when there is better lighting. Thanks! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Margaret-and-James0  The distorted photos also jumped out at me. It isn't necessary to try to get the entire room in a photo- take normal photos for each room, from different angles.

And beds that are intended for 2 people should have bedside tables and lamps on both sides of the bed.

You can get an idea of whether another host is booked by looking at the calendar on their listing page. Although dates showing as blocked could also be dates the host has blocked because they are having friends or family stay, or won't be able to host for some other reason.

Don't worry about your conversion rate- views are not necessarily from prospective guests. You have asked for a critique of your listing. Every host that looks at it is another view.

Margaret-and-James0
Level 2
Marina Del Rey, CA

Thank you all for the feedback, I am going to order more ends tables. I also went and redid all the pics if you happen to be able to take another look and see if the new ones are better please let me know. Thank you again. 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/53345911?preview_for_ml=true&source_impression_id=p3_1638565259_KmFZNAq...

@Margaret-and-James0  Yes! Photo gallery looks fine now and gives a good impression of the layout. You don't need pro photos- yours are fine. Sometimes hosts' photos are actually better than pro photos.

When you get the bedside tables, just make sure that the lamps are high enough that they provide adequate light for reading. I've seen little lamps on low tables that end up at the same level or barely higher than the bed. 

As someone who always reads in bed before falling asleep, inadequate lighting can be annoying. 

Thank you for your feedback, very helpful. Glad the new photos look better. Fingers crossed for a few more bookings this month. Thanks! 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Margaret-and-James0  I think they look better, I would still try with the lamps on and see if that makes the photos look brighter or if that doesn't work, would definitely do them on a sunny day.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Margaret-and-James0  It's okay to start out slow with bookings while you're working your way around the platform, understanding all the policies, etc. 

As you build up more reviews, you'll get more bookings. And more isn't always better- quality of guests over quantity is an important factor to consider, so vet your guests well, and if you get a bad feeling, follow your intuition.

6 hassle-free bookings a month from respectful, appreciative guests is preferable to 12, if half those guests leave a huge mess and damages behind them. 🙂