Lots of views but no bookings

Lots of views but no bookings

Hello everyone,

We are new to Air Bnb and we have our place up since mid-June, with lots of views but no bookings. I know Co-Vid has had an impact, but still we had 400 views in less than a month. Any feedback would be appreciated!

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/42763112?s=67&unique_share_id=805ab903-3e0c-4346-b931-84ec1cd6f497

Thank you,

Anne-Marie

14 Replies 14
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Anne-Marie291  As far as views go, I don't put much stock in them myself. It can give you an idea of how visible your ad is in search, but what you need to realize is that all those views are not necessarily people actually searching for a place to stay. Especially since COVID, a lot of people have been stuck at home and lots may be "armchair travelling"- seeing what's out there for when they are able to travel again, or just out of curiosity. Other hosts in your area may check out your listing to see what the competition is charging. Those are views with no intention to book. Everyone here on the forum who clicks on your link is a view, with no intention of booking. 

I can't say why you wouldn't be getting any bookings, aside from people not wanting to travel during a pandemic, except I would suggest that your photo gallery needs work. Many of the photos are washed out and slightly skewed. You don't have any photo of the bathroom. You should show the bedroom from different angles- is there a closet? a desk? A chair? I really can't get a sense of the layout of the house from the photos you show.

No one needs to see a photo of a sunset. Everyone knows what a sunset looks like.  The single bed right next to the washer/dryer is a bad arrangement- makes it look like you are just trying to cram in more beds. At the very least, get a stand-up screen to put around the unit- I can't imagine guests wanting to sleep with a washing machine right next to the bed.  The house is sweet, but the outside front looks stark. How about some potted plants at the entryway? 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Anne-Marie291,

I agree with @Sarah977 about the placement of the washer/dryer next to the x-large twin bed,  the lack of a picture of the bathroom, and the pictures make it very difficult to get a flow of the  space.  Based upon personal experience, I will never again stay at a place without a picture of the loo.  Is there a way to place the laundry appliances in the bathroom or a hall closet next to the bathroom?  Also, I see a chair in the space next to the downstairs futon, is that the living room?

I know the cottage is meant to be a getaway, but nowadays people still want to be connected to the world in some fashion.  I think the lack of TV and internet may be contributing factors to the lack of reservations.  For the sake of safety there should be a fire extinguisher in the kitchen

Thank you @Debra300  and @Sarah977 for your feedback! Here are a few more pictures, though I'll admit are not the best. https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/42763112?s=67&unique_share_id=e0684c4b-8b63-4dba-a7b0-fd4d6ea79b50

We bought this place just as Co-Vid happened, and therefore never got to set foot in there, as we live two provinces away from there (16 hour drive). So, we have limited pictures who were taken from friends who live nearby. We hesitate to ask them to do anything more for us, as they've helped so much already. I agree 100% about the washer and dryer. We will get to go down there in a few weeks, and spruce things up, take better pictures etc. However, I'm not sure we'll get better angles, as the place is pretty tiny. It's really better suited for 2 people or small family.  As for the futon on the main floor, yes, it's in the "living room", which is really tiny.  

Thanks again for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

@Anne-Marie291,

You are welcome. Yay, there's a picture of the throne!

Fyi, personally we've not had cable since 2008, and don't offer it in our apartment.  In an effort to save on a recurring expense, I suggest that you just get internet and a TV with an antenna for local channels (a rooftop antenna like your neighbors have is the best kind), and a Roku Stick (on the guest setting).  Guests who have cable/satellite service will be able to watch most of their favorite channels via apps.  You may also want to invest in a keyless entry lock and security cams/Ring doorbell to maintain surveillance of the property.  You don't want to hear from your neighbors first about any guest shenanigans going on at your cottage.

Good luck, as with most new properties, I am sure you have a lot of ideas for decorating and reno plans to fit your personal tastes.

@Anne-Marie291 Your place looks lovely and charming. The East coast has been closing it’s borders to the rest of the country and International travel. I think you’ll do just fine for bookings once the East coast opens up to the rest of Canada! The more views you get on Airbnb your listing gets bumped up in search results, which leads to even more views! I’ve successfully driven this with price. Beat the competition in price and get yourself lots of views, some bookings and hopefully get some good reviews under your belt. Once you feel the momentum picking up change your price to where it should be. Good luck! 

Hi @Katrina79 , thank you for your positive feedback! We've had interest from people from Ontario , but we've had to tell them they couldn't go because of border closures. We, as property owners, are allowed to go as long as we self-isolate for 14 days or the length of the trip if shorter (we are in Ontario). We were debating whether we should go or not (what's the point of going there if you can't go anywhere?), but we actually haven't been in yet since we bought it. It all happened during Covid! Anyhow, we've decided to drive out there and stay for 3-4 nights and come back.  It'll be an interesting family trip!

Thanks again!

oh and yes, we'll have to think about the Wifi factor...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Anne-Marie291  Okay, you haven't even been there- that explains a lot.

I get the small space, hard to get back far enough to take good angles. I have exactly the same issue. But it can be done, you just have to stand in different places in the room, which I'm sure you'll figure out when you get there. Take a look at my listing if you like- my guest bedroom is really small, and the bathroom is as well. but I managed to take photos from all sides, so all the features are visible. (I actually want to take new photos, but as I have a home share, there's no rush, as I won't be hosting until COVID threat is no longer).

As far as TV and internet- I have no TV and that's not what guests come here for. If Wifi isn't available where you live, consider getting a screen, a DVD player, and a bunch of DVD movies. (easily found for cheap at second hand stores) . Do you get a cell signal? If so, guests at least can make calls and texts and access things via their phone. Remote places often don't offer Wifi. I have an internet connection, but it's cell-based and metered- I make that clear in my ad, saying guests can use it to check email, surf the net a bit, but no streaming or major online work. As long as you are clear about it in your ad, and reiterate when guests book, those are the kinds of guests you'll attract. If there is a town nearby where they can hook up to Wifi at a cafe , mention that.

You can spin the lack of Wifi as a positive- "relax, unwind, unplug" sort of thing. Several of my guests have told me they were glad I didn't have have unlimited internet- that they spend way too much time online at home, it's addictive, and they were happy to be in a situation where they ended up taking long walks, doing some writing or art, and reading novels they never seemed to be able to get around to.

Airbnbs are unique. Play up the uniqueness- just because 90% of places have Wifi, doesn't mean you have to.

P.S. That bathroom photo is terrible- what's the dark spot near the floor in front of the toilet? And that rug just makes the floor look grubby. That last kitchen shot would be okay if it weren't for the junk all over the kitchen table. And that inside front door shot- get rid of those knickknacks, like whatever is hanging on the wall up near the ceiling. The loft photo with the chair and futon and fan- the fan is badly placed for a photo, and the cord from the plug on the back wall looks tacky. Whoever took all those photos may be really nice people, but their photos suck 🙂

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sarah977,

I agree there are lots of folks who want to disconnect, and don't travel to watch TV.  Maybe it's due to living in regions that are prone to hurricanes, heavy storms, and tornadoes, that I require a reliable access to local news, especially weather information. 

@Anne-Marie291,

If you choose not to providr a TV or internet service, I suggest you have a multi-band radio and inform the guests of the news and emergency service channels.

Thanks again @Debra300 and @Sarah977 . I don't know if it's the bathroom picture, but all of a sudden we've got an inquiry! 

@Anne-Marie291,

That's great news. Good luck. 

**[Advertisement removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

**[Advertisement removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Optimal0  Please don't spam this forum. Advertising is against forum policy.