Lying, sneaky, filthy, rude guest

Autumn39
Level 2
Norfolk, VA

Lying, sneaky, filthy, rude guest

As a new host I was accepting children in the home, but have since changed my settings to allow one 0-2 and NO 2-12 year olds. So, I get a request for 1 guest 5 nights $117.00. I do instant automatic bookings as I live in a heavily Navy populated area, and I understand orders can change without much notice. I try to accommodate every guest possible. So anyways, she books the living room couch, not even a private room for 1 person 5 nights $117.00. I notice her arrive on camera and greet her at the door. As the uber/lyft driver pulls away I see not 1 person but 2 adults, 1 carrying a newborn baby, and 2 toddlers walking towards my door. The father was carrying 1 backpack, and her purse. No car seats, diaper bags, pack and play, toys, stroller, NOTHING. I freak internally. I immediately confront the situation and check my calendar to make sure I didnt read it wrong. Nope 1 person 5 nights. I also checked to see if I had other openings for the same nights in a listing that would better suit her (and her whole family). I did, so I explained to her since she was not honest about the number of guests that would be staying I would be charging her the rate for the room she booked, plus the private room adjacent to the living room. 5 people are not to be in 1 bed, says multiple regulatory entities. And my poor bed frame! They agree to the extra room and say the price increase is ok. In the 4 days she has been here I have not used my kitchen. She has taken it over, has food all over the counter tops, pots full of food on the stove, beans soaking on the counter, and the sink full of dishes. The room I put them in for the first 4 days had a prior reservation, so this morning when I went down to flip the room over I got a good lool at my home and was mortified. The counters had not been wiped down, the trash can had food drippings down the side of it, it was just gross. The restroom and bedroom were no better. I kicked it in high gear and began cleaning, my mother in law showed up to help and was in awe the condition of my home. She had tears in her eyes. We got the home clean, and mom let them know this is what is to be expected for cleanliness. Since the new guest arrived, her and her family have developed heavy feet, the baby now has colic, they now slam doors, now yell at eachother, and the children, and to top it off, the childeren are afraid of the guests bull dog. Screaming when it walks by. My listings are very clear as far as smoking is allowed, dogs are allowed, children are not. I know I should have turned them away at check in. But as a mother myself, seeing them taking uber with no luggage, there was no way I could turn them away. Since I have been typing this, the additional guest has decided not to stay. And im out the nights rates. I have another guest checking in an upstairs room now. We will see how this goes. The happy little family  has gone for a walk to the beach.

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Autumn39 

I feel there is no 5 star review arriving...

@Autumn39 

You really should have turned them away...... for their own good 😞

They have probably lived their entire lives taking advantage of the decency and kindness of others.

Please leave an honest review of them....... "Booked for 1 adult but 2 adults & 3 children all under the age of X showed up. Although I do not allow children it was late and I decided to make an exception. Unfortunately the family was rude to other guests making them uncomfortable, and also messy and noisy... so much so that my other guest decided to leave early. I regret allowing them to stay and would not welcome this family back into my home."

It would be the first straight up, negative review, I have ever left. I wish I spoke russian, I swear she is down there right now telling the children to scream louder. They keep yelling YEAH YEAH, then she says yeah and a word in russian. Then they scream louder. I heard a metal spoon on being scraped on my frying pan a few minutes ago...im about to lose my composure. Do I really have to leave my own home to get some peace and quiet? Up until today she kept them almost silent. Is it appropriate for me to call her out at this point? 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Autumn39 

Ayayay ...  of course you can go and remind her there are other people in the house and screaming is not Ok as well as taking over the kitchen for the entire day, leaving the mess, etc...  I doubt it will help though...

We realized very quickly that families with kids are the worst guests. I am SOOO HAPPY Airbnb introduced "Family collection" and ever since we didn't get any booking requests from families. Thank you Airbnb! 🙂

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Autumn39 

We’ve all been there. Fallen for the sob story, or felt guilty/sorry for a guest. But every time - 5 yrs hosting now - with no exception. Every time you bend your rules or take pity you will live to regret it. 

I’m afraid these guests would see the other side of me by now. No more Mr nice. But ‘look you will need to leave unless things improve around here.’ Act like a doormat and that’s exactly how guests will treat us. Wipe their dirty feet all over you!