Maids.. incredibly hard to find a good one

Tommy135
Level 3
Toronto, CA

Maids.. incredibly hard to find a good one

I've been through more than a dozen maids in a year.

I had some terrible maids where they lied to me about being there on time. I gave her a second chance, and then one day she cancelled on me last minute, making me quickly drive an hour up there and not finishing in time before the guests arrived. The guests surely wasnt happy.

I've had some good maids but there were issues.  1 of them had to stop working because of health reasons. Another wont work weekends or holidays. 

I pay them roughly 25 dollars an hour cash which I think is a lot. They should be able to get the job done in 4 hours (theres 5 hour time frame between guests). 

To this day I still have yet to find the perfect maid. Any advice on this? My cottage isnt in the middle of  nowhere.  Its 15 minutes away from a pretty big town

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It sounds like you aren't vetting your cleaning staff properly @Tommy135 

Do you interview your staff? Do you take up references? This along with a written brief/check list and spot checking the quality of their work, will help you keep on top of things. 

I don't know if $25 dollars an hour is a good rate where you live.

If individual cleaners aren't working out for you, consider a cleaning service.

Tommy135
Level 3
Toronto, CA

Yes I definately do interview them personally beforehand. Yes I also make sure they have references. 

If I pay more than 25 an hour, that means I'd need to charge my guests more. Currently I charge guests 100 dollars and it's barely enough to pay the maids. I do strongly believe 25 dollars an hour is a very good rate. I'm in canada and the minimum hourly pay is 14 dollars an hour before taxes. I'm paying them 25 dollars after tax. 

I have tried cleaning companies however they just have too many rules. No cleaning on sundays (most of the checkouts are on sundays), no bedsheet changes, no holidays