Maine summer rentals in trouble

Shiri6
Level 2
Sebago, ME

Maine summer rentals in trouble

The state of Maine just released new guidelines yesterday, and I’m looking for advice from other hosts in Maine. So... I had to cancel all my May and June reservations, because they were out-of-staters.  Only residents of Maine are allowed at hotels and short term rentals in June-none allowed in May.

I’m just confused about how to handle my full July and August calendar because, guess what? They’re all from out of state! There will be a 14 day quarantine for these visitors. Can they come if they don’t intend to leave the property (if they still want to)?

I’d really love to hear how other hosts are approaching this.  Personally, I’d like to crawl

under a rock right now.  No rental income this summer is a scary reality we’re facing.

Here are the recently released guidelines:

https://www.maine.gov/covid19/restartingmaine

4 Replies 4

@Shiri6   I don't think you need to take action on your July and August bookings at this time. Unless you want to open up your calendar for local or long-term bookings, you can let your guests make the call on whether to cancel based on how the conditions turn out. If Maine ultimately extends the quarantine into Jul?Aug your guests will still be able to use the Extenuating Circumstances for a full refund as long as they booked before March 14. (And if they booked a summer trip later than that, they're complete idiots and might just have to take this as a Stupidity Tax).

I appreciate the insight-thanks!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I don't have any answers for you @Shiri6 but I am in the same boat. Although, I have already lost every booking and don't have anything coming in so I can already predict that the summer won't exist.  Scary times  . . . . not for the lives of Mainers but for our economy!

Keep me posted @Emilia42 !  All our bookings are cancelled right now.  Maybe if the guidelines for out-of-staters are lightened, we can get some renters back in July and August?  Fingers crossed at least.  ALL the local marinas, restaurants and shops NEED that business to survive - especially seasonal businesses.