Maintenance while guests are in home

Max-And-Kristie0
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

Maintenance while guests are in home

Hi Airbnb community.  We currently have guests that have been in our house for a week. Yesterday, they notified us that they saw cracks in the shower floor while taking a shower. Given this is the second floor in the house and we were worried about safety of current guests and further damage to the house, we called someone to come look at it, since we do not live near by. The guests did not respond when we asked if a repairman could come by so he stopped by the house but due to a barking dog he decided not to go in.  We contacted the guests again asking them when the repair man could come inside and he said he “strongly suggests he comes after” their stay. We can’t get anyone to come on weekends and our current guests are not being understanding. Does anyone have advice on this?  

11 Replies 11
Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Max-And-Kristie0 do you live nearby? Can you get over to

the house to let in the repair person? If so, schedule a time for the repair and inform the guests that an inspection will happen at xx time. Knock or ring doorbell at that time, if hey do not answer go in. If they do, state that you are there for their safety and will inspect the shower now and then do it. If they refuse, you can tell them to leave, as you think there is a safety issue and then immediately call Airbnb and ask for them to be rebooked elsewhere. You need to look at this now. 

There may genuinely be cracks. Or, the guests could be looking for a free ride and have or will make cracks and then will contact Airbnb and say it is a safety issue and they want there money back. Yep, there are some really devious people. 

Hope that it is an existing crack that is easily fixed and that these are nice people. 

We don’t live nearby which is part of the problem. Another problem is the dog and we are worried about the safety of the repairman.  The guests did send us a picture of the cracks which don’t look terrible however their is potential that water has been going through to the vacant first floor and we haven’t known.  They guests have stopped responding the last messages. We also have new guests coming on Sunday and they will not be able to use the shower. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Max-And-Kristie0  This why you need need a  signed rental agreement. I would call AirBnB and tell them the guest informed you of a potential hazard from damage with your shower they sent photos and the guests are now refusing to allow your maintence person in and is not longer responding to your messages. You need to repair this asap or the damage will become worse and you can therefore not guarantee the safety of your guests using it.

I have this in my rental agreement:

• Owner and Owner's Representatives entering Property– Occasionally, the Owner or their designated representative(s), including Housekeeper, caretaker, or repair person, may enter the property at any reasonable time for inspections, maintenance or repairs with a minimum of two (2) hours advance notice to Guest (from when a message is left on Guest's cell phone). Pest Control spraying, Landscape and pool maintenance personnel may enter the grounds of the property at any time, without prior notice.

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

For Superhosts (they will verify you):

North America: +1-647-945-9627 +1.888.326.5753

@Letti0, I have seen other threads on this forum and elsewhere discuss a rental agreement. I know you're experienced, so would like to ask how you present your agreement? When do you ask them to sign it? How do you send it to guests? Etc?  I have not done this, but it does seem like a good idea for many reasons, including the topic at hand.  Your advise is appreciated. 

@John1080  On HA/VRBO I can give out it prebooking as a Preimer Partner (their version of SuperHost). On AirBnB I can only give it to them after they book. I send it within an hour after bookings almost always as a pdf using the AirBnB Guest email and they return it to me via the AirBnB Host email with copy of ID within 48 hours. If I don't get it back they will not be given the door code. In my house rules:

A signed rental agreement & ID must be sent to us within 48hrs of booking. If not recieved no door code given.

@Letti0, Thanks! You've never encountered any issues? Has anyone ever said they refused to sign? I wonder if that were the case, how AirBnb would rule? 

@John1080  I had one person not want to sign it or return it on HA/VRBO and he did not get a dime back when he cancelled the day before check in. We were pretty sure he planned on breaking major rules. He was denied a chargeback also because my listing clearly stated no refund and his profile with picture verified it was actually him. So far everyone on AirBnB has returned it when sent, although a few took 72 hours or more. My lawyer says AirBnB would be more responsive to me with the signed document, but we all know that's no guarantee with AirBnB. Doesn't matter to me I have the information to file a claim direct with it in small claims court where I damage his credit or give the name to my insurance company and they can go after him for the damages which they will.  

@Letti0, it sounds like you're on top of things! Thanks for the information. 

Wow this is amazing thank you so much. I’m just going to try and focus on the amazing guests that we normally have and wait until he leaves (hopefully there isn’t as much damage as we think) and use an agreement like this moving forward. He has since messaged back saying bad things about us as hosts and saying that he won’t let us ruin his stay by allowing maintenance in the house. 

@Max-And-Kristie0  Hopefully you are documenting everything in the AirBnB system. Any conversation do a recap of it in the messaging system. 

Nicolle19
Level 1
Boulder, CO

@Lett0 do you mind sharing you renter agreement? Just wanted to see what I should include in mine.