Making a reservation for one date and showing up a whole day earlier

Domani0
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

Making a reservation for one date and showing up a whole day earlier

Hello everyone,

I had a guest who asked if they could view the suite so I said sure.  The guest and her daughter showed up with a lot of luggage and said they liked the suite and because there is a language barrier, I asked them to amend the reservation to the day they showed up and not the next day.  Anyway,  I contacted the person who made the reservation and repeatedly asked to change the reservation but 2 days later no news from the person who made the reservation or from Airbnb.  No point speaking to the guests in my suite because do not understand English so I am at a loss.   Have you experienced this before?

Thanks

7 Replies 7
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Sounds like you are being hoodwinked, @Domani0. They understood well enough how to "see" the room ahead of time and show up with luggage and not budge. I would google-translate your request that she hit "yes" on the reservation amendment and stand at the door until she does it. 

I know. Easy for me to say here in front of my computer. But if she still refuses, you could contact Airbnb. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Domani0

If you accepted a third party booking  (contract to BNB rules) you will have an issue, as they don't have to help you - as someone else rather than the person who booked is staying. (see third party bookings in the Help section).

All you can do is contact the person who booked and say as they not have amended the reservation for the extra day their guests have stayed, you will need to consider cancelling the reservation.

Have you got a contact number for the person who booked? If so call them to try and resolve.

Going forward I would suggest you don't accept third party bookings and don't allow people to visit ahead of bookings. There is no reason for them to - they should be able to get all they need from your listing.

@Domani0 said "the guest and her daughter" so it might not be third-party, @Helen3. Is that right, Domani? "The person who made the reservation" was the guest? If not, it is indeed stickier to deal with. Listen to Helen!

Lawrene, it was the guests' older daughter in Iran who made the booking and she texted me via the airbnb a few times before her mom and sister arrived but after they arrived, I havent heard from her inspite of me sending her two more requests.  

Thanks for your help - this community help forum is amazing !!!

Have a great day 🙂

Thanks for the tip on third party booking.  I shall read it right now.   Airbnb is looking into this and hopefully it will be resolved.  No one has ever asked to see the suite before !!  This was a first for me too.

Cornelia20
Level 2
Paris, France

I would ask airbnb to hold one day from the deposit.

Airbnb will contact then the person who made the booking.

Good luck

Thanks everyone - this issue has been resolved - I just received two emails from Airbnb stating that the extra day's payment  has also been deposited into our account.