Malicious review - AirBnb don't care about hosts

Mario279
Level 2
Vela Luka, Croatia

Malicious review - AirBnb don't care about hosts

I saw that someone left me scores 1 in all sections, except in overall. I can't see who.

Contacted the AirBnb and no help. Once you receive score one it is impossible to have good scores especially because I am hosting during the 2 summer months, about 4-5 groups per year.

Guests never said anything, from all guests I have excellent scores and everybody were pleased and told me that everything was great.

But someone came home and reviewed all scores 1???

How is that working? what means score 1 ? You would have to have a cave, with rats and completly wrong description to have 1.

This was just bad and malicious people who did this because they don't like my skin color or nationality or... something.

Doesn't really matter, the point is AirBnb don't want to delete this, don't want to contact these people and ask what was the reason for such a CATASTROPHIC score.

There has to be some kind of control, to protect the hosts from malicious reviews by simply clicking.

The host will never give bad reviews to guests, even if deserved as we are in the buisness of renting and you want your costumers happy and coming back. They will not come back if I review them 1,2,3,4. Nobody wants to hear that they been noisy or dirty, or...

So the hosts are in much worse position and AirBnb is just making money on both but don't want to protect the host.

If the guest is unhappy with something HE HAS TO CONTACT THE OWNER and inform about the issue and give him/her the chance to help or rectify the defect. Othervise guests should not be allowed to score 1, 2 and 3 !

Only scores 4 and 5 should be allowed without explanation as they are good scores.

In this way AirBnb would protect hosts from bad and malicious people who are doing this just to hurt your listing (for some reason).

There are always going to be bad people and there is nothing we can do about that, but we can do some control measures to prevent (or at least reduce) the simplicity of bad people'e influence on this communiy.

4 Replies 4
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mario279

I am sorry it happend to you. I've seen similar posts before and Airbnb didn't want to remove those ratings even when guests said they made a mistake and thought that 1 is the highest rating.

Of course it is not fair and it can easily ruin our bussiness and it is not in anybodys interest ... there are numerous posts about it here on the forum

Good news is that if your guest rate you with 3 or less stars he will not be able to book instantly with you in the future. (I am not sure if it works other way arround i.e. when you rate a guest with 3 or less) and he should pick a reason from a drop down list (cleanleness in the kitchen for example) which you can see under his private review. So, things are slowly changing...

@Branka-and-Silvia0, it is the other way around. We hosts just wanted it to be what you say. It is when we give a guest three stars that they cannot instant book with us. They can give us any rating they want and can still instant book. See https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/New-Get-guests-you-can-trust-every-time/m-p/43251...

Unless you have heard of a reversal of that since? Have you? 

well that is just great!

So actually the AirBnb doesn't care at all.

some people can just write whatever they want and there is nothing you can do about it.

Except delete my listing and start over, or terminate contract with AirBnb.

there are other platforms for this

@Lawrene0 thank you for correction, you are right 😞

@Mario279 yes, unfortunatelly anyone can harm our bussiness by mistake or for a revenge and ABB will intervene only in very rare cases . The only thing you can do is to leave a reply on your last guest's review , something like: "Despite a glowing review this guest mistakenly gave us 1 star in all categories and unintentionally  damage our ratings. He thought 1 star is the highest mark. " ....It will explain your low star rating to other people who are looking your listing and consider to book it.

All hosts are against star ratings and would like them to be abandoned  

The other unfair thing is that we can not see star ratings given by previous hosts to  our guests, but I've heard yestarday that ABB is testing the option and I hope we will get this possibility soon. 

Your listing and location is beautifull and I hope this accident will not affect your bookings for the next summer.