Martin Nowell, scam

Silvia-Anna0
Level 2
Padua, Italy

Martin Nowell, scam

Good morning, did anyone receive a proposal from Martin Nowell? Is asking me to partecipate in a scam. He would like to book my apartment, stay at his friend's home and share the rental fee with me. He sent his phone number in letters to me + 12562739824.

This is clearly a scam and I wander if it is common or not to receive this type of "affairs".

Thank you

26 Replies 26
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't think it's common but have heard reports of this. Call Airbnb and report it and of course don't communicate further with him @Silvia-Anna0 

Silvia-Anna0
Level 2
Padua, Italy

Thank you @Helen3 , you are right, I didn't even answer and I wrote to Airbnb, we all must be very careful….

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Silvia-Anna0 

Can someone please explain on what basis this works, is it because he does not stay and the apartment is vacant or available to let to someone else? and the host gets to keep half the fee, or is it because he's using a stolen credit/debit card to pay for the booking? is it because he's having an affair and he's trying to cover his tracks.

Each scenario is more preposterous than the last don't go there.

it is quite sadly simple: the man work for a company. The company sends him to Italy for business. The company pays the host . The guest doesn't show up and the host share the fare with him. So, the employee and the host rip off the company….

Laura4116
Level 1
Vilnius, LT

Hey. Just received the same message few mins ago.Silvia, how did this finish?

Laura4116
Level 1
Vilnius, LT

Hey. Just received the same message from the same person. Silvia, how did this finish?

@Laura4116  Silvia said she reported it to Airbnb, but they obviously didn't remove this scammers account as they should have, so you should also report it, and make sure to tell them that another host reported this same guest for the same scam 2 weeks ago, so why does he still have an active account and allowed to try to run this scam?

let me check now if it is still there, I come back in a minute

No, I can't see his message anymore. I wonder why Airbnb did not cancel the profile…. may be they are trying to catch him…. 

You are right Sarah! How it is possible that they did not remove that account!?

I did not answer to that message, I informed aubnb and the message is not available anymore. and you received the same! I think that they could fish somebody….. 

@Laura4116  ha scritto:

Hey. Just received the same message from the same person. Silvia, how did this finish?

with the same phone number? There is not shame!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Silvia-Anna0 @Sarah977 @Laura4116 @Cormac0 @Helen3 

I'm having difficulty figuring out how this "scam" would work. Somebody books and pays for your place, but doesn't stay, and...? What/whose "rental fee" is shared? Who is scammed?

It is very simple: the person works for a company. The company pays the host and the host share the amount with the guest (while he doesn't show). 

Is that clear now?