Melted hairdryer!

Answered!
Bex1
Level 6
La Feuillée, France

Melted hairdryer!

I have B&B guests who came up to me after breakfast and said "we've melted the hairdryer.  We were using it dry our clothes and shoes last night as they were wet from hiking".  I thought the electric consumption had been excessive.  Is this something I should report?  I'm so bored with inconsiderate guests.

1 Best Answer
Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Bex1 That guest has no respect for you or your property. It’s an accountability issue, it’s not enough to just admit you broke something, you have pay for what you broke. Life is expensive but it’s even more expensive when you act like an idiot. Drying your wet shoes and clothes with a hairdryer is being an idiot. I would approach them with the same retarded giggle ‘hehe durrrrr here’s the bill for the hairdryer you destroyed....toodles’. Also send them a message right now thanking them for telling you they destroyed the hairdryer and it cost X amount and send them a screen shot from amazon. Also take a photo of the hairdryer for Airbnb. There’s a feature to request money from a guest, use that before they check out. If they checked out, use the resolution but get all your records and photos before you start. Good Luck! 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

You should request money, @Bex1. Study the link below and don't forget to include the incident in your review:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Bex1
Level 6
La Feuillée, France

Does it matter that there's no security deposit marked for chambres d'hotes/B&B?  I think what makes me so cross is the way they told me they'd used it to dry their clothes so it got very hot, then an hour later tried to say it had only been on 5 minutes.  Takes longer than 5 minutes to melt a hairdryer!

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

These people sound like utter tools! Sorry for you to have them over in your house.

Take pictures of the hairdryer and go to Resolution Center

Ask for the amount you need and wait. If they don't answer, you can later on via the RC involve Airbnb. 

Regarding the amount, put an extra 5% percent on top of the price to cover the electric bill 🙂

Best of luck @Bex1

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Bex1 That guest has no respect for you or your property. It’s an accountability issue, it’s not enough to just admit you broke something, you have pay for what you broke. Life is expensive but it’s even more expensive when you act like an idiot. Drying your wet shoes and clothes with a hairdryer is being an idiot. I would approach them with the same retarded giggle ‘hehe durrrrr here’s the bill for the hairdryer you destroyed....toodles’. Also send them a message right now thanking them for telling you they destroyed the hairdryer and it cost X amount and send them a screen shot from amazon. Also take a photo of the hairdryer for Airbnb. There’s a feature to request money from a guest, use that before they check out. If they checked out, use the resolution but get all your records and photos before you start. Good Luck! 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Bex

Ask them to replace it before they leave.

I had a set of guests that broke an Ikea plate, not only did they tell me about it, but they went to Ikea off their own bats and replaced it, leaving me a small present to boot.

Using equipment for purposes it was not designed for is not only dangerous (fire hazard) but down right careless, I'm generally laid back, but this is an extremely serious matter and should not be brushed under the carpet.

At the very least these Guest should get a thumps down or more correctly be completely banned from Airbnb they could have burnt you listing down.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Bex1 it happend to me when I was 18 y.o. 🙂 we were on a school trip, didn't have neither an umbrella nor the spare cloths, get wet and tried to dry our clothes with a hair dryer. We placed the hairdryer INSIDE the trousers and it melted in few minutes bc it was sucking hot air instead of cold one. It happens 🙂 ups! But they should pay for it.

PS

we have the cheapest hair dryers for our ABB units, 10€ 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Must have been misuse, you could use a hairdryer normally without it melting. Hair or clothes.

Or is was somehow defective.

David
Bex1
Level 6
La Feuillée, France

It was fine for 3 years with every other guest - including females with very long hair!  

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

If they broke they have to pay for it and DO NOT BUY A NEW ONE> THEY NEED TO GO AND BUY THEIR OWN.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Thank you (made me smile, too!).

I've emailed them, and also opened up a dossier with the Resolution Centre.

If the guest writes a snotty review because of this, can I get the review removed?

@Bex1 you get a rebuttal to their review on your listing. If you choose to leave them a review, make it absolutely clear that this guest is an idiot and has no respect for people or property. Also give them a Thumbs down, so they can’t instant book anymore. An example of what I would put in their review,

‘WARNING HOST! this guest thought it was ok to use a hairdryer to dry wet clothes. Destroyed the hairdryer and didn’t pay for the damages. Good luck hosting this guest’. 

Of course that’s if you want to leave a review. 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a host’

Bex1
Level 6
La Feuillée, France

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help.  I emailed the guests and let them know I was opening a file with the resolution centre.  After nearly 3 days I received an email saying they were surprised at my request for money as they had been honest about melting the hairdryer...  So, after the 72hrs had passed with the resolution centre I clicked on the "involve Airbnb" button, and within hours I had an email to say that I would be receiving my money.  I'm grateful to all of you for taking the time to offer advice, and for making me feel supported.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Bex1 See? They were idiots all along. Come on, who destroys property and then they think they don’t have to pay for it? I’m glad you got your money for the dryer.

Now I’m picturing Farrah Faucet flipping her hair while using the new hair dryer.....ahhhhhhh

’You know it’s hard out here for a host’