Messy guests with unsupervised kids cause damage to furniture

Answered!

Messy guests with unsupervised kids cause damage to furniture

To give some background information for context I have a stand-alone house that is managed by two full-time staff. One housekeeper and one gardener. I don't live in the property.

Repeat guests - a family with young kids, stayed this past weekend. They brought friends along which I knew about - another family with young kids.  On their previous visits they've left the house in a mess but it's never been anything that can't be returned back to normal so although it upset me I figured the revenue from their stays was enough to compensate for a few more hours of cleaning. I let it slide and didn't mention it in the reviews. However I feel like their last visit may be the final straw. It's clear the kids aren't supervised and don't know how to respect the contents of the house. The housekeeper reported seeing the kids jumping on the furniture and one kid jumped from the top of the couch onto the coffee table and broke the glass top. (It's a wood and glass display coffee table)  After seeing the damage to the glass they're lucky that no one was hurt. In addition to the damaged coffee table the common areas were once again left in a mess. In the living room the couch cushions were taken off the couches and used / thrown on the floor, stains on curtains, scuff marks on furniture from being moved around and  picture frames that looked like they were sprayed with sunscreen on them amongst other general mess like crumbs.

I feel the house and it's contents were not respected, and I'm especially upset that they seemed to be inconsiderate to the house staff who will clean up after they leave. 

The guests did notify me immediately about the damage to the coffee table and have offered to pay for the repair. Unfortunately it won't be a quick and easy fix. For the table to be repaired I need to send it to the original furniture maker which is about 70 kilometers away from my Airbnb. This means I will need to factor the cost of transporting the table to and from the furniture workshop. I'm estimating the shipping alone to cost about $90. I'm still waiting on official quotes from the furniture maker and courier so I haven't yet requested any money from the guest. 

Prior to their stay this past weekend the guest had already booked the house for Christmas. I have also noticed that a different profile from the one used to book their previous stays was used for this current booking. I'm now not sure I should host them again since it's clear the children are left unsupervised and wonder wether they got a bad review recently which explains the use of a new profile? I'm also not comfortable putting the staff in an awkward situation where they're having to 'police' guests and their kids during their stay. Is it fair for me to cancel their Christmas booking? Or should I be clear about my expectations and give them 1 more chance and hope for the best? 

I'd appreciate advice / thoughts on this.
1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tania266 I vote to cancel (and leave honest reviews in future)

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tania266 I vote to cancel (and leave honest reviews in future)

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

You could tell them that this behavior is not acceptable and demand full payment for previous damages and extra cleaning in advance. Also demand a hefty damage deposit. I have had this happen, the children were willfully destructive, and now we don’t allow children.