Mid-term Guest Issues

Answered!
Billie37
Level 3
Allen, TX

Mid-term Guest Issues

Hello, I just started hosting last December and for the first time (via Airbnb platform) I have mid term guests.  These guests (husband, wife, 3 kids, and dog) have been at my house around 55ish days now.  They are paid up until Sept 30th.  Here's what has happened so far from initial communications in June:

They asked if I could be flexible with them and let them only pay until end of September, but they may stay until February - they were not sure of an exact end date, but they needed my calendar blocked without payment
• I gave them the Airbnb at half price
• I blocked my whole calendar for months for free with no payment  

They asked if they could arrive a week early "since no one will be there" kind of acting like I would allow them for free since no one else was booked.
• I allowed unplanned early arrival by one week and added half price discount

(I had to take 2 vacation days at this point to clean because I didn't have enough time in between people with busy work schedule, etc)

They asked if they could arrive another day early for free
• Allowed another unplanned early arrival by a day and gave for free  
• Also gave additional $100 discount because of road construction that had just started near the home.

They asked to use the house for the school registration and if they could get their mail forwarded to Airbnb
• Allowed forwarded mail and address to be used for school registration

They had a package delivered early to home before check-in date and then arrived with an unplanned dog
Asked if they could be added to the ring cameras and other cameras (not typical)
• Allowed Ring cameras, said dog was okay, took pic of the package and let them know it arrived

When they arrived, they asked how to close the electric gate. I responded "with the remote that is on the snack basket labeled 'electric gate remote'" There were tons of little communications like this, but I'll leave those out.

They asked if they could have an extra remote to the electric gate

• I gave them number to the gate company and direct number to Jean who works there, found PDF for manual and forwarded it, all just in case. I called gate company and they said they don’t set up remotes.

• I ordered a remote from Amazon and had to learn how to set up extra electric gate remote myself (which wasn’t hard), ordered Liftmaster box keys, etc. I did not charge them an additional charge to for this extra remote.

After a few days, they messaged about downstairs half bath fan being stuck on like it was an emergency, although it was not on when I arrived the next morning.

• I came over the next morning and fixed it. Also, I tried a different electric remote I bought for gate,  since the one I ordered from Amazon didn’t come in yet, but didn’t work.

They messaged about miscellaneous mail that is coming in and what to do with it

• I told them about how you can return mail to sender

They messaged me about ants and what to do (I have organic and non organic pesticide in the house) - said they didn’t have ants in Seattle

• I came over the next day, wiped up the ants, caulked the baseboards, sprayed with organic spray, left them more spray and supplies, put Terro baits down inside and outside, and plugged in some electric pest repellers, also called 4 exterminators and had one come out the following business day

They messaged me about 2 lizards in the bathroom “just wanted me to be aware”

• Explained it’s just Texas and the geckos are everywhere, usually outside, but may have come in because of the spraying

I messaged them that hail was coming their way during a thunderstorm and that Oncor had texted me saying their power was out.

• I offered to come over with coolers and ice for food, they declined.

• I gave them the link to get electric updates to their phone.

• I sent screenshots from NextDoor about other neighbors conversations about power being out

• I stayed up all night monitoring the situation and emailing updates from Oncor - Oncor kept pushing back the power on time.

• By morning the husband seemed very upset the power wasn’t back on, so I gave him $50 for the inconvenience. He happily accepted it. Power came on at that time. (out from ~7PM to 6AM)

They messaged me about how they can keep their small dog from fitting through a gap in the fence caused by the moving electric gate.

• Advice about using boards in the shed (for really small dogs) is in the Airbnb manual. I also spoke to the wife about using boards in the shed when we were outside and the pest control guy showed up.

• When the husband contacted me about what possibly to do, I figured they just didn’t want to use the boards, so I mentioned several other things I could come over and do to fill the gap. He ended up fixing the gap himself with the boards in the shed which amazed me he could fix anything!

(Their dog is small like a cat)

And they are leaving their dog outside and in the garage which is stated in the Airbnb house manual as a "no no.”  The dog is constantly scratching the storm door to get in.  I am wondering how many doors are scratched right now.

I contacted the couple about me coming over to change the Air filter. The husband told me about his girls ripping curtain hardware from wall and asked if I had wall anchors. (they have 3 children)

• I came over the very next day and changed the Air filter in the attic, fixed the curtains, and did other maintenance like changing out the ring camera batteries. No charge for anything.

They messaged me about puddles and sent me pictures.

• Explained again that it’s Texas and it thunderstorms here and puddles happen. He said they don’t get puddles in Seattle since it just mists.
At this point I feel they are trying to get more discounts.

They called several times Sunday night (Sept 6th) from 8:20 to 8:40PM hanging up and leaving no message. I called back after finding out it wasn’t some spam caller (I had originally blocked the number after 20 minutes of them calling and hanging up). The Husband told me they had to use the override switch on the electric gate and push it open. The gate was heavy he said. I, as a 5'3" female, can push the gate open and closed all by myself, btw.

• Not sure what he wanted me to do at 9PM at night, but I came over and looked at it. I informed The Husband that the over communication had to stop. I couldn’t handle it anymore.

• Gate override information is listed in Airbnb manual

• Gate override switch is labeled with large index card and big writing with marker

• Gate company information, along with manual, was given when they first moved in.

• I read the manual late that night after getting back from looking at the gate and saw that the gate has batteries, even though it plugs in, and that those batteries needed to be replaced every 3 years.

• The very next morning, Sept 7th, I went to Academy Sports and bought two 7AH batteries, went to the house and replaced them in the Liftmaster gate box/motor. It looked like someone had been inside the box messing with the wires.

• Also, I saw that the $260 (before tax) cat house was broken when I got to the Airbnb to replace the batteries. This was upsetting because with all the over communication, and messaging me about puddles and “lizards” he couldn’t message me about the broken cat house. 

• I called The Husband several times about 1) someone pulling out wires from inside the Liftmaster motor (he denied messing with wires), 2) The broken cat house (he admitted his kids broke), 3) how I didn’t know if I wanted them to stay past the end of September, etc. The Husband said that he still wanted to stay at my house and he wouldn’t contact me anymore for all the little things.  On the phone, he said he just messaged me about puddles and lizards because he thought we were friends.

I tell the husband that things have not been going smoothly for me, how I just lost my job, my car just broke down, and I can’t handle the stress of feeling like I’m constantly waiting on him and his family.  At this point, him and I had messaged over 160 times through personal email within a 4 or 5 week period.  He said he would stop the over communication and fix the small things himself.  I told him that worried me, and what if he then becomes passive-aggressive.  He said I had nothing to worry about.  The husband said they would like to pay outside of Airbnb “To save me money”.  I told him that it’s the guests that get charged fees.  Going outside of Airbnb would only save him money. 

I signed up with Cozy on Sept 10th and sent a request for payments to be set via up early on Sept 10th.

• No response from them the rest of the day Sept 10th.

• No response Sept 11th.

I was getting the feeling that since I set my boundaries and asked The Husband to not over communicate, he is now not communicating at all.

• Sept 12th, I message The Wife’s account via Airbnb:

Hi The Wife, I hope everything is going well. I just wanted to send a friendly reminder that your last paid day is coming up in a little over a couple of weeks. I have continued to keep my entire calendar blocked off since June, but unfortunately I can not financially keep it blocked very much longer. Are you and The Husband wanting to book past September 30th? If not, no worries! Your checkout date will be September 30th and I will open the calendar back up for bookings in October. If you would like to stay past the 30th, please let me know. I messaged The Husband a couple times and have not had any response. The latest I can keep the calendar blocked is September 18th. Hopefully that gives you some time to decide. Have a great day, Billie

She messages: Hey Billie! I’m pretty sure we plan to stay. He is out of town for a funeral right now so the last week has been a little hectic. But we love it here and the kids do too so I’m pretty sure we’ll be staying. Thanks!!

I message back: Ok, great! Thanks for letting me know! Sorry for your (and/or The Husband's) loss. I'm really glad you all are enjoying it there. Please let me know if something changes!

• Sept 13th, I see The Husband is at the house on the outside cameras. No response all day.

• Sept 14th, I close down the Cozy request since really it’s only doing them a favor, not me.

And nothing from them Sept 15th.  

So, today (the 16th) I message again with a “friendly reminder” for payment if they wanted to stay and that I would be opening my calendar to the public on the 18th.  I state that I am no longer communicating off the platform and thus it’s best they never responded to set up their Cozy payment, because communicating off platform is not the right thing to do.  Boy did I learn that the hard way!  I state that it seems to me that once I set my boundaries, the husband quit communicating.  I can post what our conversation went like today, but it was a ton more back and forth with them calling, texting, and emailing.  I had to keep saying “I can only communicate on Airbnb”.  And the husband asked for just one call off the platform.  I said no.  I opened my calendar and only gave them a 10% discount instead of 50%.  He was not happy.  After that he kept pushing again to speak outside of Airbnb and saying "he just wanted to save me money."  I told him AGAIN, going outside the platform saves him money, not me.

Then, I assume it was the husband, started trying to guilt trip me with the price saying he could not afford it and "I am sad for my kids and the impact you are having on them". That was my last straw.  At that point I said it’s best for them to go at the end of the month and not book further.  They said they would leave. 

This all seems so crazy to me!  Is this typical of mid term Airbnb guests?  How often do you get contacted by your guests that are staying over 30 days? 

1 Best Answer

@Billie37  Thanks for posting the follow up to this disastrous booking.

If you are "following" a thread, or if someone tags you in a post, when you click on your profile photo here on the forum, your notifications show there.

I'm so sorry you had to deal with such disrespectful, clueless and pushy people.

One thing- I read the review you left and the response to their review. I realize you were super upset about all this, but if you ever get a bad guest again, don't leave a novelette length review or response. It's fine and cathartic to vent here on the forum, detailing every outrageous transgression, but in reviews and responses, stay brief and somewhat general. When you write a guest review, it is to let other hosts know if these were suitable or objectionable guests. Other hosts don't need to read every gritty detail to understand that guests were horrid.

For these guests, "Worst experience with guests, or anyone, for that matter, ever. Demanding of constant attention over ridiculous "issues", ongoingly disrespectful of both the host and the property, brought undisclosed dog, left the place filthy, (8 days of cleaning and repairs)  with multiple damages. Strongly not recommended" would inform other hosts of all they need to know.

As for the response to their review, that should have been sent as a private message to the guest, if you really wanted to let them have it. Not so as not to shame them publicly, but because your review responses appear on your profile, not the guest's and are read by potential future guests. You don't want to present yourself as a ranter, but as a professional, and you shouldn't address the bad guest in your response. Just correct any misinformation in the guest's review, for the benefit of other guests considering your listing, who don't care at all what particular nightmare you went through with other guests.

A brief "This review resulted from the terrible behavior of these guests, which at first I made every effort to accommodate, but at one point in their lengthy stay,  I had had enough and drew my boundaries, refusing to continue to accommodate their endless demands.

Please refer to my other guest reviews for an accurate picture of the listing, my hosting, and the type of experience you can expect when booking here" is the sort of response that would have been appropriate.

Glad this is behind you now and wishing you only good guests in the future. One good thing- this was probably the worst guest experience you'll ever encounter-all other guest annoyances will pale in comparison.

View Best Answer in original post

66 Replies 66

Hi @Robin4  ,

thats a great project You're working on. I was thinking about something similar a while ago but that's a lot of work and I don't have the energy You have.

You said Your threadtitle would be:

• 'A Hosting Handbook for Dummy's'

I wouldn't use that as a title. My proposal would be:

• A wise man said

As You know I have often assigned strange titles to my threads, one ot them being „Guantanamo“. I only did that so that I and other community members can easily keep that word in mind which will help to retrieve the thread. Your thread-titel contains the keyword „hosting“. I have to tell You that 30.000 threads on the CC have that word in it whereas only one current thread title contains the word „wise“. That will be much easier to find for everyone.

2020-09-18 Keywords hosting and wise.jpg

Also I would suggest that that You make a seperate thread out of every topic of Your tutorial.

• A wise man said:  How to set up a listing

Or, with reference to my own 'NO' tutorial:

• A wise man said:   NO

You said Your thread would be „lengthy“. Be careful with that. I would cap the number of words in Your thread and not type along untill You run out of ink. Many people nowadays just don't have the patience to read lengthy literature. This Billie thread „puddles in Seattle“ may be an exception bc it's entertaining. But in general You can easily loose Your audience if it is too long. Or You make it just as entertaining. As far as I am concerned, the entertainment factor of a post should never be underrated.

Good luck with Your project and maybe some other CC members have more ideas concerning Your tutorial.

Cc: @Huma0 @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Debra300 @Sarah977 @Colleen253 @Ann72 @Helen350 @Kelly149 @Emilia42  and, of course, @Billie37  who started all this

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ute42 

And I will bet you there will not be one reference in 'Keywords' for Dummy's 

How about ...."A Hosting Handbook for Wise Dummies'!  that gives me two nibbles at the keywords yeast bun!

In all seriousness Ute thanks for your suggestions, I take everything on board.

One of the most popular research tutorial brought out in the late 90's was....."Microsoft for Dummies"...you may remember it Ute.

The title is not suggesting that people are dumb, it is suggesting that it is help that is written in an easily understandable style that a novice will be able to grasp!

Like my concrete chair, it is coming along!

Cheers........Rob.

@Robin4 @Ute42 

There are more than I thought there'd be. 

주석 2020-09-19 164446.png주석 2020-09-19 164447.png

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

Okay, what about 'wise dummies'

Hey Jess, its a work in progress, I am 9 pages into it and I have just got to the point where the listing goes live. I want to cover every crevice.....every hosting nook and cranny. I do not expect that competent experienced hosts are going to get a thing from it. In fact most will probably tell me that 'this or that' is wrong. What it is, is the experiences of a particular host who after 5 years doesn't have any problems that I can't overcome.

Here is the end of my first 9 pages........

Okay, you have decided what sort of guests you wish to attract, you have set up a great listing description with the right number of good quality photos in a sensible order, and you have set the property description up to be subtly guest friendly to read, and host friendly in its instructions…….now is the time to put it on-line!

No it isn't.png

It is coming along Jess.....and I take on board what you say about Keywords!

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4  

I really do like Your project. The point is: Helpful information for newbie hosts is scattered all over the place on this community center. It would be great to have one single spot for them to start with and that's what You're working on.

As I said I was thinking about a similar project, not for beginners though but for seasoned hosts. I thought I would make every aspect of hosting a seperate thread, bc there would be a lengty discussion following to each and every topic. My first bulletpoint would be:

• Ute says:  How to set expectations

This would be No. 1 because this is where trouble generally starts.

I haven't gotten far with this project, mainly bc I am getting lazy as I'm getting older. You are the obvious opposite to me.

There is one point which is very very difficult to convey though and that is: In many cases if there's an issue, the problem isn't the guest and the problem isn't airbnb, the problem is the host him- or herself.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Billie37 I am not going to beat you up as I am sure you know you made a lot of mistakes here. What I will say is you no longer have guests after 30 days-- you have tenants. I am a landlord as well as a host on Airbnb (different properties). There is no way as a new host you should ever accept a long term reservation in my opinion. First, you need short stays to build up your reviews. One poor review out of the gate can really tank you. Second, as you have seen, guests expect a different level of attention than a tenant. Guests call about puddles to get a discount. Tenants? Uh, try that and I will be happy to remind you of the lease and my right to terminate. Third, if this guest group really wanted to rake you over the coals, they may now have established residency rights and you have no lease to protect you. Airbnb will NOT have your back or hire you an attorney. Your best course of action is to get them out and get them out FAST. 

There is no way I would have let these people block my calendar for months, but you did, and that is past. Pets need to be worked out beforehand even in pet friendly listings. There are so many violations and annoyances in your post I can't address them all. What I will say is that you need to work on your boundaries. Learn to say "I am sorry this doesn't seem to be working out. Let me call Airbnb and arrange for a more suitable stay." 

This husband guest is a manipulator. You are not his "friend." Cut the cord. Get your life and your space back.

I would not let these people stay until the end of the month. Full. Stop. I would contact Airbnb and let them know that the guest wants to communicate off platform and is pushing for a discount, that you are uncomfortable and you want to cancel the rest of the stay. Airbnb will respond to not getting their cut and negotiating rates off platform is against the TOU. 

Finally YOU NEED TO LEAVE AN ACCURATE REVIEW. It should go something like this:

"So and so were communicative guests when things came up in the space that they wanted us to correct. They did not communicate when we asked them to follow house rules, tell us when they planned to check out of our space, when items in the house were damaged or when payment was due. This was one of our first hosting experiences hosting a loneger stay and it was a very difficult one. We would not recommend these guests to others as they are more suited to a hotel."

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Here's an update on the current situation in Germany.

2 AM in the morning, beautiful summernight and I'm sitting in the open on my patio.

To the right of my laptop an empty bowl, had a french onionsoup 5 hrs ago. To the left of my laptop wine bottle No.2 continuously loosing content. And I am sitting on a chair staring onto the screen.

I've stopped smoking recently but I think now I'll have a cigarette.

2020-09-17 Puddles in Seattle.jpg

Good night.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Billie37  You're a good and kind person and you've had the lesson of a lifetime.  I think your growth in this relatively short interval has been phenomenal.  I hope you get this passive-aggressive horror show of a family out of your house and soon.

How very very very dare they use their children to try to guilt you in that fashion.  

@Billie37 

I hope you are able to get those guests out ASAP..... and please.... carefully read what the other hosts have posted. Their advice is golden. 

@Robin4 @Laura2592 @Colleen253 @Huma0 @Sarah977 @Mark116 @Debra300 @Emiel1 @Ann72 

Like @Ute42  I can't seem to stop laughing either................. no ants or puddles in Seattle 🤣 🤣 🤣

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

Honestly, how do people even come up with this stuff and have the nerve to say it? Why don't they feel ridiculous?

Also, it's just annoying in general when people travel expecting everything to be exactly like it is at home. How often do you have to be diplomatic when what you really want to say is:

- I don't care if everyone in the USA has a waste disposal in the sink. No one here has one.

- I don't care if London is colder than Florida. I am not putting the central heating on in the middle of Summer.

- I don't care if you don't recycle in Russia. You're in the UK now so that's irrelevant.

@Huma0 "how do people even come up with this stuff and have the nerve to say it? Why don't they feel ridiculous?"

Lack of self-awareness would be how I would characterize that. No concept of how what they say or do would be perceived by others.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Yep, lack of self awareness would certainly explain it.

There is also that old adage of 'give them an inch and they'll take a mile'. It's amazing how far people will push if they think they can get away with it. That's why it's important to push back.

This is a mild example, and nowhere in the realm of the ridiculousness we're talking about with the OP's guests, but I recently had a guest who told me,

"Yeah, I slept okay I guess. BUT, my neck hurts. I slept in a weird position all night because the room was brighter than I am used to."

I was perplexed. "The room was bright at night?" I asked her.

"Erm, no, she replied. Only in the morning."

"So how did that make you sleep in a weird position all night?"

That was basically the end of that conversation and of the complaint. There comes a point where you just have to call out the nonsense.

@Huma0 @Sarah977 

I think I mentioned in another post........ had the window screen wide open and was complaining to us about mosquitoes in the guest room. (sigh~~) 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

Yep, same guest keeps complaining about seeing a couple of flies in her room. I asked if she left the windows open and she said yes. I explained that as her room faces the garden and the weather was unseasonably hot, it was inevitable. However, I could put up some voiles for her to stop any flies coming in. Suddenly, the fly situation is "not that bad" and the voiles are not necessary.

If they don't want the solution when you offer it to them, you can be pretty sure the problem is not really a problem and that they are just someone who likes to complain.

I have a long list of petty complaints from this one, but I just keep responding with, "Oh really? That's strange. I've hosted hundreds of people and no one else has ever mentioned that. You must be very sensitive."

@Jessica-and-Henry0  My neighbor told me one day a couple years ago that he'd been killing all the lovely little little geckos in his house, because he was sick of cleaning gecko poop off everything every morning. (they hide out during the day, and run around the walls and ceilings at night- they're fascinating to watch)

Okay, I don't like the gecko poop, either, but it's a fact of life here. Those geckos eat so many mosquitos and other bugs, I consider it a small price to pay to wipe things down in the morning if there's a few little poops.

Then a few days later, he asked me if the mosquitoes were really bad at my place, as he was finding them unbearable. Nope, there were barely any mosquitoes at my house, because I don't kill the geckos.