Min/Max Smart Pricing

Cassi4
Level 2
Cambria, CA

Min/Max Smart Pricing

Hey there fellow hosts....

I woke up January 1 to see that the weekend pricing (and some random weekdays) on my spaces was at their max.  As a host, I feel responsible to provide comfy accommodations at a reasonable price, but watching my listing go from $130 on the week days to $250 (!) on the weekends was unreal.  Managing expectations by keeping the price competitive is important since airbnb allows "value" as a scoring category- However, it seems like something is off with the algorithm.  I've never experienced a max out on my pricing.   Before the new year, my min and max pricing was always reasonable, falling in the middle, rising slightly when it was busy, but not unreasonable for the space we provide.  Has anyone else experienced a significant rise/change  in their smart pricing algorithm? 

7 Replies 7
Joell249
Level 2
Everett, WA

I just noticed the same thing today, Had to go in and put my prices back to normal, they were way to high, crazy high

Smart pricing skyrocketed. Noticed I wasn't getting bookings lately, now I see why.

Fix this Abnb!

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Cassi4    From the time I started hosting, I simply limited the high and low ends of "smart" pricing. I truly believe that the value of my place is what it is. I don't really care to take advantage of local events or high demand to jack my price up. I offer the same comfort and value regardless of what is happening in the world outside. I'm comfortable with this philosophy, but others might not be, so I'm just putting it out there for some perspective. Not having to rely on some mysterious and frequently crazy algorithm to set my prices is actually a relief. Good luck! Kia

@Kia272  I always operated with exactly the same philosophy. My place has always been exactly the same price every day of the year, with no discounts ever. 

I realize that for lots of hosts it's all about making as much money as they possibly can, constantly playing around with pricing and discounts to maximize income and occupancy. 

But it's always seemed to me that brings its own headaches, with smart pricing glitches and odd pricing, too low or too high, forgetting to up pricing for holidays or events, with ensuing hand-wringing when a guest books at the "wrong" price. 

Pra mim esse algorítimo não tem nada de inteligente, geralmente o preço mínimo é inviável para qualquer localidade e o preço máximo é a venda de um sonho inalcançável. Sempre optei por estabelecer meu preço baseado na minha realidade local de concorrência.

Lisa-And-Anne0
Level 2
Nashville, TN

I just noticed this too! Prices had tripled and I didn't realise. What a corporate rip-off! I'm lowering them.

Dawn783
Level 2
Tulsa, OK

I can use some help. I’m just starting out. I set up smart pricing and for all my open dates, with exception of two big events, it consistently quotes the maximum rate set on the smart pricing template. I don’t know what to do? I set up for a three night LOS minimum and 8 night max. I haven’t set up any discounts. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance. Dawn