Minimum Guest Age?

Ame0
Level 2
New York, NY

Minimum Guest Age?

I've recieved a query for a weeks rental for a room in my home that I also live in from two 18 year old girls traveling from Switzerland to NY. I am happy to provide a safe and affordable place for them and assume they will follow my house rules... but I want to know if it is ok to rent to underage guests (21 is legal, right... not 18?)   I certainly don't want to be liable for any shenanagans they might get up to and I am NOT a chaperone for any of my guests.   Thoughts?

3 Replies 3
Geoffrey37
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

@Ame0 I’ve had a number of guests under 21. I think most places in the world, 18 would be considered the age of adulthood.  At least where I live, it’s the voting age, drinking age, etc. I figure if they’re old enough to enlist in the army, they’re old enough to travel on their own!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ame0  18 is the age at which guests can open an Airbnb account and book. You can't decline someone based on age if they are 18 unless local laws or HOA regs forbid it.

Make sure to message these guests to ensure that they have fully read your listing description, house rules and cancellation policy and agree to abide by all. Make sure they understand they can't have other people over.

You should also reiterate all the house rules when they arrive. And while you say you're not a chaperone, be aware that many 18 year olds have only recently moved out of the family home or still live there. They may use up utilities as if they are free (think 1 hour hot showers, constant hair-drying, turning up heat or AC and leaving it turned up when they are out, or leaving all the lights on) not clean up after themselves in the kitchen and other shared spaces, expect you to wash their dirty dishes,  think it's okay to fire up the washing machine on full load to wash a tee shirt and a pair of undies, etc. In other words, behave like clueless teenagers.

Some young people are super respectful and responsible, but you might need to be prepared to teach them what is and is not allowed and expected in your home.

@Ame0 

The youngest guest I ever hosted was 19 at arrival and celebrated her 20th birthday during her stay with us. She was one of the most responsible guests Henry and I hosted 🙂 she had experience living in dorms before coming so she was very respectful of others in the home and of shared spaces. I also had other guests where it was their first time away from home who needed a bit more guidance. 

@Sarah977  made some great points about communicating with the guests in advance regarding expectations. It's something I always do before guests arrive - I think it's better and easier to make sure they "get" the rules and the fact you are serious about them before they arrive than trying to enforce them to guests who arrive obliviously thinking rules "are not a big deal, whatever~". If those guests feel they won't be able to respect your rules, they need to cancel and book elsewhere. 

In my case, the No guest(s) of the Airbnb guest is our most important rule that is reiterated very clearly and I tell guests point blank, a violation will not be tolerated. And we make sure all our potential guests understand how serious we are about this rule.