Monroe County Florida transient rental taxes and Florida state sales tax

Monroe County Florida transient rental taxes and Florida state sales tax

It appears that Airbnb is collecting taxes.  It calculates out to 8.11% tax that they are collecting on my rentals.

Florida sales tax is 5% and Monroe County transient rental taxes are 7.5%.  What are the taxes that airbnb are collecting and who are they paying them to?  If they are paying florida state tax, why are they not collecting only 5%.

I need to be sure that taxes are being paid properly on my behalf

5 Replies 5
Global-Retreats0
Level 2
Coral Gables, FL

Shannon109, Thanks for posting! This is also of our interest as we also operate in Monroe County, FL. How did you come to the conclusion that Airbnb is charging guests 8.11% tax?  Also, how can we receive proof that Airbnb has paid on our behalf, even if they only pay the 7.5% State of Florida Sales and Use Tax? It appears that we (the hosts) will have to additionally charge and collect from our guests another 5% to cover the Monroe County Tourist Development Taxes.

Monroe County Tourist Development Tax is a 5% tax on the total rental amount collected from every person or other party who rents, leases, or lets for consideration living quarters or accommodation in any hotel, apartment hotel, motel, resort motel, apartment, apartment motel, rooming house, mobile home park, recreational vehicle park, or condominiums for a period of 6 months or less. This tax is collected by the Monroe County Tax Collector pursuant to Monroe County Code, Chapter 23, “Taxation,” Article VI, as authorized by Florida Statute 125.0104. The local Tourist Development Tax is in addition to the 7.5% State of Florida Sales and Use Tax remitted to the Florida Department of Revenue.

Thanks,

Randy

Wendy800
Level 2
Brewster, MA

I have just checked numerous listings in Key West and do not see any disclosures about the guest paying the host the 5% Monroe County tax.  We live thousands of miles from Key West, so we can't be there to collect - and it seems awkward to be greeting guests with your hand out after they have already paid Air B&B.  How are other hosts handling it?  I end up paying it myself, though I don't believe that is the intention.

We have the disclosure on our listing '5% resort fee'.  We collect it as requested to Airbnb and remit it each month.

Did anyone get answers on this?  I thought Airbnb was collecting and submitting all the taxes ?

They DO NOT submit the Monroe county 5% fee that is up to the host.