Month-long rental inquiry - guest has no Airbnb track record and only 1 verification

Terri24
Level 1
Sykesville, MD

Month-long rental inquiry - guest has no Airbnb track record and only 1 verification

I'm a little uneasy about this inquiry, as the guest is verified only by email and has no previous history with Airbnb.  No pic.  Says they are relocating to the area from Kansas City, and the company she works for is giving them 4 weeks of housing to find a permanent residence.  Other details - father, mother, 1 son, declawed older cat with no issues.  The grammar and spelling is all spot on.  They originally contacted me because they were wondering if we could accomodate the cat (we are strictly no pets).  Does this sound scammy to my fellow Airbnb hosts?  Advice please!  

2 Replies 2
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Terri24

Perhaps ask them to complete their verification and upload a photo ?

And communicate with them, maybe ask for their full names and the name of their employer so that you can verify at your end that they are telling you the truth.

You cannot really be too careful with long term rentals. After 28 days they may have tenancy rights with all that implies.

Cecilia155
Level 5
Boston, MA

@Terri24great questions and always good to be mindful.  However, if one of your house rules is strictly no pets - there's your answer - no guest!

I know sometimes you think of the money that will be coming in, as it helps with costs associated with your home, however I always say:  If it costs you your peace of mind....it's too expensive.