Monthly discount

Jim248
Level 2
Rohnert Park, CA

Monthly discount

Can someone suggest a monthly discount percentage? Thank you for any input! Jim248

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Hi @Jim248 Why would you give a monthly discount? If it encourages people to book for a month or more the only things you will achieve are lower revenues and granting your guests tenants rights.

So I vote for zero discount

Interesting point. In this case they're talking about mid-Oct thru mid-Jan, and possibly thru mid-Apr. I'm not likely to get many (any?) short term rentals in that period.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Surely where you live it would give them tenancy rights. @Jim248 

Give them whatever discount works for your business model. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jim248 

Before you accept a  "long term stay" i suggest to read this to be well prepared:

:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/805/what-are-some-things-i-should-consider-before-hosting-longte...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/285/how-are-longterm-reservation-payouts-processed

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1361/how-do-changes-and-cancellations-work-for-longterm-reservat...

I noticed you have 12% weekly discount and 20% monthly discount set now. I think it is OK, maybe increase to max. 25% for a long term stay of several months.

But be aware of using a rental agreement also and i suggest to set a higher security deposit.

(now Euro 100,- or $118,-)

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I offer 15% discount for month + stays, but it does really depend on so many factors, so it's a bit difficult to advise. What I would say is ignore Airbnb's current price tips for monthly pricing, which are ridiculous. They tell me to most heavily discount my most popular room. It makes no sense at all.

@Jim248 

Consider what a typical fully-furnished rental would cost in your area, factor in generous usage of electricity+water+internet (and cable if you provide) and then whatever amenities you provide in addition (clean sheets/towels each week? any regular cleaning?) 

You need to charge WAY MORE than what people would pay as rent. 

So it's not about a monthly discount - it's about what is your payout total is. If you set a high nightly rate, you can afford to apply a higher monthly discount. If your monthly rates are minimal, then no monthly discount would be needed. IMO, it's a matter of perception. I offer a 20% monthly discount, but I intentionally set a higher than average nightly rate, I have no cleaning fee, and I make sure the total host payout (after the discount and Airbnb host fees are deducted) end up to be what I need it to be to make hosting worth while. - I could very easily adjust the nightly rate down or up and offer either a 10% monthly discount or 30% monthly discount.... and still be paid the same. 

FYI, I used to host a lot of long-term exchange student guests (in my shared home private room & bath listing), staying anywhere from 1 month to 5 months. I factored in what it would cost them to stay at the school dorm vs. a roommate situation (usually with a local student) vs. short-term rental of a furnished studio apartment. I also looked at prices of nearby guesthouses and motels/budget hotels. Then I priced myself to be competitive enough but also making sure I was covering the costs of hosting a guest while securing a profit margin to make the extra work worth it. 

And as @Huma0 says....... ignore Airbnb's price tips..... they really are completely ridiculous.