Monthly stays washer requirement filters out good listings

Monthly stays washer requirement filters out good listings

I made my place, that is fully furnished and with a very well stocked kitchen, available for 28 days or more, which is what Airbnb has encouraged hosts to do right now. My place does not show up in the "monthly stays" filter when guests search for longer stays because it does not have a washer. Very frustrating. This should not be a "requirement" for 28 days. I've had numerous guests rent it over the years for 1-3 months. It's a fabulous longer term rental and the people who have stayed here for longer term LOVE IT and have never complained about not having a washer.  I have a drying rack that fits in the shower, or can be put out on the covered deck, so hand washables can easily be done. There are LOTS of towels and 2 sets of sheets. I have sent a communication to Airbnb requesting the washer/dryer be eliminated as a requirement for the 28 days filter but I'm guessing I'll never hear back unless there's pressure from other hosts. This requirement is not benefiting hosts or Airbnb in the current environment. Thoughts from other hosts?

14 Replies 14
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Linda354  I do think it's a ridiculous requirement to have to have to qualify for the monthly stays. Unless you're way out in the boonies, with no laundromat around anywhere, if a guest is okay with there being no washer, that's all that should count. I don't know who comes up with these things- back when there was a "Family collection", one of the requirements was a TV. Tons of hosts sent negative feedback about that- not oly did they not want a TV in their house, they provided lots of activities for kids, they saw it as a time for families to connect and do things together, not park the kids in front of the tube. Not to mention, almost everyone travels with their devices these days- the kids can play video games on them all day long if that's what the parents think is okay.

@Sarah977 I don't see why you would need a washer if 'you are way out in the boonies' Surely  you don't need clothes or can wear smelly clothes if there is no one to notice.

@Sarah977 Thank you for your feedback and acknowledging the same thoughts (yes, the TV thing is a very similar example) and you are correct...it should be left up to the guest to decide if not having a washer (or TV) is Ok with them. It should not be an eliminating item for a filter. So is there any other way to voice the concern to Airbnb other than sending a communication through the Help chat which I have already done? I'm guessing communicating here does not elevate to anyone, correct?

@Linda354  Correct. This is just a discussion forum for hosts and guests. Good place to get feedback and support or ask questions if you have an issue or just want to chat or vent (also great for being alerted to site format changes or glitches- it's useful to know that tons of other hosts are experiencing a certain glitch, so you don't think it's just a problem on your account), but Airbnb doesn't read or respond to what is posted here. The forum moderators will sometimes try to escalate an issue someone is having with CS, if the host or guest hasn't been getting any response to their problem, but that's about it.

Occasionally requirements do get changed with enough feedback directly to Airbnb- a few years ago Airbnb made providing linens and towels mandatory, which most hosts wouldn't find odd, but there was a huge outcry from hosts with vacation rentals in places where it is traditional for guests to bring their own- this seemed to be beach or lakeside cabins on the east coast of the US and some places in Europe, primarily. These were remote places that the hosts lived far from, and providing clean bedding and towels for places that might get booked for a dozen people for a couple of weeks or more just wasn't possible or would be prohibitively expensive. Plus, like I said, guests coming to those places were accustomed to bringing their own linens- they were places you would have to drive to, anyway. So it took awhile, but Airbnb did backtrack on making that a requirement, although it is "strongly encouraged".

Hopefully more hosts will let Airbnb know that the washing machine requirement for long-term stays should be nixed.

I think there was another thread here started a day or two ago about the long stay/washer requirement. Maybe type some key words in the search engine and you can find it.

@Sarah977 OK, thank you. I did try to type some key words about this into the search before I posted and did not find anything but I'll try again.

@Sarah977  Thank you!!!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Linda354,

I agree that a washer is an odd requirement for longer term stays.  Since Airbnb doesn't seem to be budging on this policy, maybe you can get a portable washer that has a spin dryer.  I've used them when I traveled to Central America and the Caribbean.  They are inexpensive (some are less than $100USD), very energy efficient, take up little space, and best of all fulfill the strange prerequisite.  I liked the spin dryer feature so much that I purchased a Panda spin dryer for my own home use.  A five minute spin will express an additiona 1.5 cups of water out of the laundry, and the dry time is reduced in half (air or heat dry).

@Debra300 Thank you so much for that idea. I will look into it. Even if small it will stick out like a sore thumb to put it anywhere inside our 500 sq ft space itself. But we do have an adjacent space that we might be able to put something like that in as it already has an oversized laundry-type sink in there so perhaps a portable unit could drain into it. It's not normally a space we open up for nightly guests but monthly guests could certainly use it. 

I spoke with an Airbnb Customer Service rep last night and she too saw how my place is not showing up on the Monthly Stays filter, likely because of the washer. She was understanding and compassionate so took the time to document it all. She is at least sending my concern/feedback up the line in a detailed communication suggesting the washer criteria be lifted as it does not benefit Airbnb or hosts. It should be left to the guest to decide if they want or don't want to stay at places without a washer.

@Linda354 While you are waiting for the Airbnb customer service, we can probably invest some thoughts into whether it's possible to sqeeze in a washer/dryer into your unit. First I would want to let you know that there's a type of ventless washer/dryer combo that's essentially the size of a washer, but does both jobs. It only requires hot/cold water supply, a drain hose and a 120V outlet. When I remodelled one of my ~500sq ft unit I put one such washer/dryer combo into the bathroom with a regular bath tub (5ft long), a large lavatory pedestal sink and an elongated toilet. The bathroom was essentially 5ft by 6ft in size. If your bathroom is larger than this size it will be possible, depending on the current layout might need some work. Another option is that if there's a kitchen or kitchenette in the unit, it can be placed under the countertop as long as there's a space about 25 in wide. You can remove the dishwasher and get one in place.

@Nanxing0  Thanks for your suggestions. Someone else suggested a small w/d unit in another comment which is a possibility. I'm not interested in doing any alterations in our unit at this point as it was completed recently (2016) so we maxed out time and $ resources. But you'll see above I mentioned I have an adjacent space I could put one in and allow access to without any construction needed what so ever. I just have to decide if it elevates to take action for me/us. We mostly rent our space nightly when not in a pandemic and if someone puts in their actual dates, they do find us for monthlies. We are also a working organic produce farm and we are at peak work load, but lowest income, right now...Thanks again for your thoughts! I appreciate it!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

And what Airbnb doesn't take into account is that many guests will often run a washer daily if they have access to one. They'll fire it up on full load to wash one pair of socks, a tee shirt, and a pair of pants. Every day. That's a lot of water and hot water you'll now have to factor in, when monthy stays are already cheaper than short stays.

We just added a washer 2 weeks ago as we do host many young families.  Just realized another down side this week. Our guest decided to wash our bath towels and bedding herself vs me swapping them out for them (12 day stay). Now that they’ve checked out, I realize that several towels and the sheets are stained and I cannot get them out as she must’ve washed them hot.  Will have to start advising longer stays that I will switch out the bedding and towels myself after so many days.  Not sure if I should put a note on the washer saying for personal items.  And like you say I will have no control over the number or size of loads they do.  

Read a better solution on one of these

postings.  Only provide enough laundry pods to do a few loads of laundry. They likely won’t waste the limited pods in doing your bedding and towells!   Tried it and seems to be working!   Love the input on this forum.