My AIRBNB Host kicked us out because my boyfriend is BLACK!

Raquel517
Level 1
Broken Arrow, OK

My AIRBNB Host kicked us out because my boyfriend is BLACK!

My boyfriend and I were meeting for the first time during the Halloween weekend. Our hosts were a married couple, but the person we were in contact with was the wife. Since the description said "pet friendly" we told her that we were bringing my two dogs for the weekend. I was the first to arrive and right away I was confused because they had two dogs in their garage when I walked in and they never said anything about having dogs. When I walked in the door they had two kennels by the door which I thought was really sweet because since we told our host I was bringing my dogs, I thought she put those kennels by the door for them. My boyfriend arrives but at the same time as this lady that lived downstairs. When I first walked in I noticed a mysterious door and I just assumed it was off limits. Apparently that's where the lady downstairs lives, but they all share the front door! So I was pretty confused why they never mentioned that in the description. On the appearance of the house, it was nice. I thought they were pastors because there was literally so many pictures of Jesus everywhere around the house. They had a table dedicated to study bibles, Christian books and the Salvation Prayer. It turns out they weren't but by their description, they were really active in their church.  It was nice but I just got a weird vibe from it. So me and my boyfriend leave my dogs in the kennels and go get something to eat. When we get back to the AIRBNB, the host(wife) messages us and says "You left a quake and your dogs at our place, you never said anything about dogs, we really don't appreciate you damaging our property." Now before we left, one of my dogs accidentally peed on the bed comforter, so I took it off the bed and put it on the floor because I was going to go wash it once we got back from eating. That was the only "mess" that she was talking about, which that's not even a mess! One we walk in, a man is standing in the kitchen making coffee, I assume that this is the woman's husband and it was, his name is Johnny. My boyfriend says "Excuse me sir, your wife just messaged me" and Johnny starts yelling "YEAH I'M **bleep**ING PISSED MAN!" "You got your dogs in my dogs kennels, I didn't even know you were bringing dogs, you left a mess so pack your **bleep** and GET OUT! While he's yelling at us, my boyfriend is trying to calm him down and Johnny says "I'm tired of you ni....I'm tired of you people, just go, get out! So he almost said the "N" word. He's going on and on about how tired he is and that he works 12 hour days and he wanted to come home and relax, another piece of information that they never told us, we were told we'd have the whole house to ourselves. We eventually get him to agree that we can take the dogs somewhere else and still stay there, so I take the dogs and go pay for a hotel because I'm not about to stay in a house with a guy that almost called my boyfriend the "N" word. My boyfriend goes back to get the rest of our stuff and Johnny was on the phone and said that he will talk to his wife about giving us our refund. Once we got to the hotel, we realized we still had the key and we let them know we had it, but he just said he'd get it from us the next day. The refund took 4 days to come through and they only refunded $40 because according to Christopher who was the Case Manager that emailed us, we kept the keys overnight and that caused an "inconvenience" to the host, even though the host TOLD US TO KEEP THE KEYS for the night because it was late and he kept talking about how tired he was. Overall this experience sucked because I believe they were discriminating against my boyfriend because he was black and they just wanted to find a reason to kick us out. It sucked that that had to be our first encounter with each other. I've tried to reach out to AIRBNB to make a public complaint about the hosts and try to get my entire $120 refund but I've had no luck. 

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Raquel517 

If the host had cancelled the reservation,you would be refunded.

If the host want you to leave, without cancelling, you should have contacted Airbnb.

It is not clear to me if the host also contacted Airbnb and asked for cancellation.

(or if the reservation is cancelled anyway)

A lot of things happended / has been said, hope you have it all available in the Airbnb message system.

It seems to me you not only missing the full refund, but also made expences for a hotel.

Maybe try it again by making a claim:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/544/what-is-airbnbs-guest-refund-policy-for-homes

Best regards,

Emiel

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I am very sorry you have been exposed to unacceptable racist behaviour.

@Raquel517 a lot of hosts would say that a dog peeing on the comforter would not be "nothing".

Did you read the house rules, did you check before putting your dogs in their kennels?

When did you say you would be bringing dogs and is that allowed for the listing?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Raquel517  This host's behavior is totally unacceptable, of course, but yours is as well. What makes you think it's okay for your dogs to get up on the bed at someone elses house? And pee on it, no less? You can't bring un-housebroken dogs to someone else's home- and please don't tell me he never does that at home- I've had dogs all my life and once they aren't little puppies anymore, they don't have "accidents" indoors if they've been trained right. If you think that a dog peeing on the comforter is no big deal, you have a lot of growing up to do. And no, guests don't get to just wash things that belong to the host- you have to fess up to that kind of thing and ask the host how they would like you to deal with it. You don't just throw the freshly washed comforter on the floor and decide you'll deal with it when you come back from eating.

Also assuming the kennels were for your dogs, when you saw the hosts also had dogs was quite presumptuous. Did it say anywhere in the listing info that they provide dog kennels? Guests are ususally expected to bring their own. You should have asked.

And did you think this was an entire place because it was listed as such, or because you failed to fully read through the listing description?

Sorry, but my take is -they are horrible hosts and you are horrible guests.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Raquel517 

yes he is a horrible host. Do they have any previous reviews?

We have pet-friendly listing and we send our pet-house rules to each guest who books with pets. It basically says we host adult and house-trained dogs and they are not allowed to jump on the beds and sofa, the owner is responsible for all the damage done by his pet and it is forbidden to leave them alone in the apartment ( they could bark, scratch the door, overturn their water bowl on the laminate floor etc..)

You should train your dogs or don't take them in other people's homes. I would also be angry if I would see my comforter left wet on the floor, and your dogs left alone while you are out.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Raquel517 

I don't believe your version of events, the host sees her bed comforter on the floor and to add insult to injury your DOG has peed on it, she rightly assumes you used it as a dog mat.

What I find flabbergasting is that you think that your host is unreasonable, and then you play the race card.

The religious iconography you describe at length, purporting to build a narrative that your hosts are religious nuts, where these object on display when you view the photos on the host page?

I find your version of event unconvincing and playing the race card a

particularly nasty low.