My First Damages Claim against a Guest

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

My First Damages Claim against a Guest

After two years of hosting, I've had to make my first claim for damages against a guest.  This was a reservation a few days ago where the bedspread was badly stained, apparently by spilling some kind of thick surgery drink on it.  The guest actually tried to hide it, covering up the stain by folding the bedspread a certain way so it wouldn't be seen when they checked out, but of course it was discovered during cleaning.  Today got the cleaning bill for $51 which is more than what the guest paid to stay one night.

I'd be curious if anyone has gone through this process before and what I may expect. Also, what happens if the guest just ignores me and wont pay?  Will AirBNB really help?  I've also heard horror stories of guests not only refusing to pay for damages but then leaving a retaliatory negative review.  Opinions?

3 Replies 3
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Anthony608 I've been reimbursed a few times, once when the guest denied responsibility. Others have been less fortunate. It's a crap shoot but if you're willing to risk a retaliatory review you can submit your claim and take your chances. You must submit the claim before your next guest checks in or 14 days, whichever is earliest. Upload photos and receipts.  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

Like @Lisa723 I have been lucky and been reimbursed as well. I had a guest destroy my Duvet once, along with the carpet, but that's another story. He denied paying stating that the 15$ cleaning fee was in place for a reason. Sure buddy, doesn't cover full on extensive damage! Airbnb ended up covering the expense. Just make sure you submit the receipts verifying the cost.

As for a retaliatory review, unfortunately n the case above it happened to me. After much fighting I got it removed. It's a chance you take. However, you always have the ability to respond to negative reviews. Also, it looks like you have a large amount of positive happy guest, so typically the one bad review will not discount your place in the least.

@Jennifer1897 @Lisa723 -Airbnb did indeed reimburse me for the full cleaning charge.  The woman who stayed in the room and spilled the drink originally denied everything and then, after the second call from AirBNB, she started changing her story and began contradicting herself.  After the third call, she was claiming she didn't even stay in the room but had left her bags there for about only five hours and had never spent the night.  I told AirBNB she was flat out lying and provided a statement saying she had checked in at 7 the night before and had stayed in the room until the following morning at 11AM.

They called her again and she hung up and then after that wouldn't take their calls.  AirBNB then wisely sided with me and provided the reimbursement.