My Host Scammed Me and Airbnb believed it

Alexis265
Level 2
Chula Vista, CA

My Host Scammed Me and Airbnb believed it

I recently stayed with my husband, my 7 month old and our 4 year old daughter at a Airbnb in Columbus, Ohio. Price was great, location was downtown and the place was really cute in my opinion. We were happy to be staying downtown while we spent time together before my husbands deployment. We stayed at this Airbnb for 2 nights. Left the place clean. I didn’t make the bed or anything like that but, I put dishes in the washer, piled the dirty towels and cleared whatever trash was there, then took it to the dumpster. After we checked out and returned the key to the lockbox, a few hours later, the review process of our stay prompted me via email. I left a short review along the lines of great location and great price. They left me a review “great family, highly recommend”. I believed everything was just fine because it was! Then an hour later after reviews, I’m being accused of damaging the mattress... apparently it’s new and I ruined the entire thing. They sent a picture with what looks like a sunken gap in the mattress. I hadn’t really noticed if I’m being honest. My husband on the other hand said he kept sinking to the middle. Since I’m up feeding the baby in the night and intermittently sharing the bed with the baby and with my husband who hogs the bed in a normal situation, I sleep just fine on the edge. I didn’t think about about investigating the bed! Long story made as short as possible. These people requested $375, damages according to Airbnb case manager once involved were $355 but I was told the mattress cost $500 by the host. Few things wrong with that... Mattresses cannot be “fixed” what are these repair costs? Secondly, what was proven as far as damage? What was the damage I supposedly caused and what in the world could I have done to it in two nights sleep? Since I didn’t realize there was any problems, I only have my word which apparently gets me no where with Airbnb considering they charged me for the full security deposit of $300. Now Airbnb is ignoring me via email and I was hung up on by a representative earlier today. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, SEEMS FAIR RIGHT? Bottom line this host is a scam. So far they’re getting away with it. They have 18 court cases in Franklin county under ME REAL ESTATE IN COLUMBUS OHIO. Airbnb also will not let me go back and correct my review so I can’t warn future victims of these scam artists but the hosts name is HOFIT ADAHAN works for ME REAL ESTATE OF COLUMBUS in property management. Plenty of reviews under that supporting that they’re scamming people left and right. It’s such a shame they’re getting away with this. Fingers crossed my bank will hear my side. Because Airbnb took the wrong one.

7 Replies 7

This seems like a strange situation. I don't understand how the guest is to blame for a mattress "sinkining."

As a host, I've failed to collect reimbursement from Airbnb for broken doors and washing machine lids, as Airbnb dismissed these as "wear and tear." I don't understand how Airbnb deems a sunken mattress as a single guest's fault, yet a door split into pieces and a broken washing machine lid is somehow considered wear and tear.

I wish you the best of luck with the situation. I would try to appeal the case and call it "wear and tear." In my experience, Airbnb loves to dismiss damage claims by hosts under this pretense.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would try sharing your story on their social media @Alexis265 

Alexis265
Level 2
Chula Vista, CA

So far Airbnb is still standing by the decision and will not reopen the case. Seems to me that this isn’t a fair process if I’m disputing the damage claim and to charge me without say seems even more unfair. Feels like a violation. Airbnb’s policies need some serious re evaluating. Still hoping my bank can get to the bottom of this since Airbnb isn’t taking care if it’s customers and supporting a scammer. Forget the money at this point, it’s more about the principal now. 

I dont have social media other than instagram. If someone wants to share my story feel free. People should know this is how Airbnb operates. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can sign up for twitter in about a minute @Alexis265 

Just set it up with an email, choose a password, fill in a few more details and your off.

Totally out of my comfort zone as it is putting myself out there. Typically not a person that takes a complaint this far but, you might be right... I should consider the Twitter route. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

It is unlikely anyone will share it for you, @Alexis265, but Instagram would work. Airbnb's user name on Instagram is airbnb.

If this host is charging every guest for unprovable damages, they won't get away with it for long. 

Will you let us know how it goes with your bank?

Airbnb responded this morning saying- “Please know that Hofit provided photos showing the bent mattress without a sheet to us as well as order confirmation”.  

And then saying in the last sentence- “Please know that we are unable to reconsider the decision made in this case- we’ve issued our final decision and will uphold it accordingly”

I almost want to laugh because they’re legitimately saying two people of average weight and size “bent” a mattress. I keep asking questions and they’ve yet to give me an answer as to how this is even physically possible. What a joke. 

I will I’ll let you know what the outcome is. Seems pretty grim at this point since they refuse to even take a second look.