My account got hacked

Hayato1
Level 1
Bunkyo, Japan

My account got hacked

Hi,

My name is Hayato ** and my account got hacked by a Chinese woman and they paid money for their trip using my linked PayPal account.

Now My name is QHaeyatzoe ** and apparently I am now a Chinese girl who speaks Chinese too...Fortunately the hosts seem to have cancelled but the money is temporarily gone which sucks.

Anyways, they also changed my email, and AirBnB account password (I only managed to log into this account from linking to my Google account), and since changing password requires old password, which they've changed to something I don't know, I cannot change my email and account password. 

How do I go about solving this? I've been on UK resolution center on wait for over 30 minutes and I'm in Japan at 7 am in the morning right now.

4 Replies 4
Hayato1
Level 1
Bunkyo, Japan

Changing account details and password is solved now - but my PayPal account is still empty after the hacker used my linked PayPal account to pay more than $1600...

The hosts seem to have cancelled, or the payment had some sort of error but it still got withdrawn from my PayPal account. Can anyone tell me how long it will take for the money to be returned to my PayPal?

@Hayato1 what a shock this must have been!

Only Airbnb customer support might be able to tell you how long PayPal refunds normally take.

Do you have any idea how this person got the password to your account?

Hayato1
Level 1
Bunkyo, Japan

Not at all, they didn't access my Gmail and they haven't used any other money related service so I am pretty sure they logged in using email + password combination. 

I haven't changed any account details for over a year and I don't even use AirBnB site that often. It's unlikely I've given away the password so I guess they just power hacked it...

@Hayato1 thanks for the information!

That is very strange.

Don't forget: if you use the same password on any other accounts, you should change those also!

I hope your money comes back to you soon.