My airbnb account was hacked

My airbnb account was hacked

I just discovered that my airbnb account was hacked. What happened was someone login to my account from various locations which are super remote from my location. And they reserved the "place" and cancelled the reservation last minute to profit from the cancellation fees. I looked into the reserved "places" and they are obviously fake places. I did not receive any notification of any reservations and I only know about it because they tried to book multiple places at the same time and airbnb sent emails that I cant do that. If someone is logging in from remote locations, I did not receive any notifications.

I called airbnb right away. But the customer service is not able to terminate the whole process. When I askedd if I will be refunded for the things I did not book, she was unable to say anything but she said she filed a ticket. I have to block my credit card because I have no idea how extensive the breach is.

I never visit airbnb on a public pc. I only visit the website on my own pc and handphone. I am deeply concerned because I also have other sensitive information such as driver's license associate with airbnb account. 

Do anybody have simiar experience? what will happen next? 

3 Replies 3
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Jessica1396Don’t you receive email of the trip booked? Unless that email address stored in your Airbnb profile was also changed, you should have received the email when the first booking was confirmed.

No...that is also weired. I think the hackers probably changed my notification settings. I checked the notification settings that all kinds of notifications are disabled. I only received an email from Airbnb that I can't book multiple places at the same time, then I discovered the breach, as the hackers were trying to book multiple places and cancel them at the same time.

And when I looked up in the internet, I found many people have encountered the same hacking activties.

It is important not to link your credit card/any auto payment methods to the account. But I dont understand how the hackers are able to login my account as I used my facebook to login. I think Airbnb system must exist a major security loop hole. They should seriously look into it. 

John6406
Level 1
Brenham, TX

A few days ago someone called me on my cell phone and tried to get me to sign up for a third party reservation program.  He knew my name, phone number and location of our listing.

I told him that i

I am not interested and hung up.

Thinking about it, I am now concerned.  How did someone get this info.

Has the AirBnB data base been hacked?