My airbnb guest (Former jailee and man with an active warrant for arrest) just vandalised my Milwaukee home.

Answered!
Judy-O0
Level 3
Lake Geneva, WI

My airbnb guest (Former jailee and man with an active warrant for arrest) just vandalised my Milwaukee home.

I returned home on Monday night to find my guests left my home in a shambles. Thankfully the cleaning lady had attended to the muddy floors, dirty dishes and oily kitchen. She did not, however open the closet or go into the basement or repair the furniture or paint the walls.

In the closet, the guests kept a bird, which defecated as it perched on the rod and upper shelves. In the basement, their dog defecated and urinated at least 30 times on the carpet and flooring. Furniture was scratched; a door was broken; the kitchen walls and ceiling have some oily substance on it. Five washings have not removed it. 

I have called Airbnb five times over the past 60 hours. My case has been put to "urgent" but I have not yet heard from Airbnb except for a standardized message to attach documentation for the insurance process. I have a case number and call room operators who assure me that I should call in the right people to clean once I have documented the damage. 

My bigger concern is that the neighbours called repeatedly to the local police to report suspicious activity — a variety of cars driving by at all times of the day and night with much activity in the basement. We have since learned that the husband of our registered guest had a record for burglary and a warrant is out for his arrest. It has been suggested that he was selling drugs from our basement. 

Airbnb continues to suggest I review my guest but though I am hesitant to do so. Meanwhile, it is probable that these guests are looking or already have a new Airbnb residence. Their names are ****

*[Personal information hidden for privacy reasons–in line with the Community Center Guidelines

1 Best Answer

Thank you for your support. I actually did write a review and, based on your response, asked (prayed) that Airbnb would remove it at my asking, which they did — and very quickly.

And, yes, I have filed a police report and am going through the motions of getting a copy — in our area it must be requested through freedom of information act and will take approx. 3 weeks.

I would agree that the guest should be removed from the platform. I'm appalled that the process is taking so long. 

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I had a similar experience. My rogue guests still have active profiles and are allowed to continue booking through other Airbnb hosts, even though I did report them.

I am always nervous about reviewing guests like that, but this time I did; however, I waited until the 9th hour to post a review about them. Hopefully my review will save another host from hosting these people.

I also noticed that my rogue guest's other review was a 5-star, but I suspect the reason why is because the owner/host has several properties and didn't witness the guest's actual behavior. Since I live upstairs from the unit, it became very obvious almost immediately that the guests were involved in nefarious activities.

That is scary. 

How did you determine that your rogue guests' profile is still active? 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Judy-O0  It's important you go file a police report and provide a copy of it with your documentation to Airbnb. Be thorough in that regard (documentation). It's a lot of work but increases your chances of success. And good grief....REVIEW the guest?! Seriously, Airbnb CX are just so clueless. This guest needs removed from the platform. But I guess, if they aren't going to do that, then at least be graphic. Unreal.

Thank you for your support. I actually did write a review and, based on your response, asked (prayed) that Airbnb would remove it at my asking, which they did — and very quickly.

And, yes, I have filed a police report and am going through the motions of getting a copy — in our area it must be requested through freedom of information act and will take approx. 3 weeks.

I would agree that the guest should be removed from the platform. I'm appalled that the process is taking so long. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Sorry why did you remove the Review?

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Judy-O0  Hi Judy, I was really concerned about what happened to you. Are you ok? Have things been resolved with Airbnb?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Judy-O0,

Lovely to meet you. I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience with your guest, I can understand you concern with this and you just want to get this sorted as soon as possible. 

I know you have been in touch with our Support Team, if the case is quite complex, which is sounds like it is in this case, it can take a little bit of time for the case manager to sort everything out and get back you. I know saying this doesn't help much, but I have also flagged your message to a colleague of mine in the Support Team, so hopefully you will have movement on it soon. 

You may have seen i've had to remove the names of your guests from your post, this is in line with the Community Center Guidelines, that we talk in more general terms and so I hope you understand why I had to do this. 

I really hope you get this sorted soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Judy-O0
Level 3
Lake Geneva, WI

Lizzie, 

I appreciate your empathy and  reaching out to one of your team members. 

I am concerned, however, about your thoughts that it "can take a  a little bit of time for the case manager to sort everything out and get back you." I doubt that other Airbnb hosts want to rent their homes to this couple. Unless Airbnb has blocked their account, which I so hope has happened, the potential drug dealing and property destruciton might well be happening as I write this.

Additionally, the clean up team is wrapping up its work  here— thank goodness!  The stench from the bird droppings is now gone after four days of ripping out floor boards, washing, and painting the closet. The team leader is  asking for contacts to the Airbnb insurance groupu, as was indicated would happen "soon" by the five account managers I've contacted over the last 96 hours. Anything you can do to hurry this along would be ducky. 

Many thanks. 

Maria14879
Level 2
Bogotá, Colombia

Hi every one ! I have receive guest several times . Nice guest only 1 Bad experience. And he had 2 reviews from the same person and no more. I think the reviews must be at least 3 from diferent guest... Diferent country or cities .. and be with sincere coments... about details or specific information... That is the only guarantee ... Wey have.