My booking has been cancelled and I'm not sure why

Saran34
Level 2
Chennai, India

My booking has been cancelled and I'm not sure why

Hello, my name is Saran and I'm from India, I made a Booking in Dundee, Scotland and all of a sudden it has been cancelled, is there any way to retrieve it back? I'll be loosing a lot of money if this happens and I'm a student and I can't afford to loose it, can someone please help me out with this?

12 Replies 12
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Saran34 

Who cancelled the booking: The host or Airbnb ? And do you know the reason ?

It normally can not be reversed, as there will  be a good reason to cancel it, unless there was a  system error. But you should get a full refund.

Best regards,

Emiel

The host has no idea why it was cancelled, and even I don't have any idea why. Probably Airbnb should have cancelled but I'm not sure why, I sent them a message through their help center but I haven't recieved any message so far 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

what did the host/airbnb say when you contacted them about it @Saran34 ?

Was it cancelled because you chose to pay in two stages and for some reason the second half of the payment didn’t go through?

No I paid the whole amount up front, and the host has no idea why this happened, I tried sending a message to the Airbnb help center but there has been no response so far

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There is no point messaging Airbnb - get on the phone and be prepared to wait a bit for them to answer.

Airbnb would normally only cancel a booking because of non payment, security issues or if a host raised concerns about your booking not  meeting say Covid legislation such as quarantine. @Saran34 

The problem is I tried calling them but because of this covid-19 I could talk to someone only 72 hours prior to my check in, is there any other contact number I could try?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No. Try them on their social media @Saran34 

I did send them a message on Twitter and Facebook and a few minutes back I got a message that their support ambassadors will contact me shortly. Hopefully they would be able to resolve this problem

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Saran34 First thing is not to worry - you will get your money back. How long was the reservation for? I am speculating that it might have been shorter than the required quarantine period - But this is pure speculation.

The reservation is for 19 days, that's the problem and I'm leaving to Dundee in another 3 days and I don't think I'll be able to find another place to stay since I have already spent  a lot on this place

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Saran34,

This is a very unusual occurrence.  I have a few more questions, if you don't mind.  How did you find out about the cancellation if Airbnb didn't say anything or provide notification?  How long ago did you make the reservation, and when was it canceled?  Have you checked with your bank or credit card company to see if the payment has been returned?

Okay so first my host sent me a message asking me if I had cancelled my booking and that's how I got to know about it and then I got another notification that said I'm getting a refund which is like not even 1% of the total amount I paid.

I made the booking at around 11am today and I got the message from my host about the cancellation at around 7 in the evening.

I did check with the bank and it doesn't look like I have any sort of problems over there.