My debit card declined by Airbnb

My debit card declined by Airbnb

Its my first time and im trying to make payment for 2 days, but system giving error all the time. I did what support team advised me but nothing helps.

"This credit card can't be added right now."

How i should solve this problem? Im using debit card and all info are correct.

12 Replies 12
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Burak42  You have to check the acceptable payment methods for your region. A debit card is not a credit card. There is no reason to assume that you can pay with a debit card unless that is one of the payment methods listed.

Its mastercard and never create problem for me in any country.

We all know its a big bug of Airbnb since 2016, i checked it. Lots of people complaining about it but problem still continiue.

Problem.png

Will somebody help me? How shameful to serve customers like this? Im trying to give my money for 3 days??? Its madness???

@Burak42  You can use Twitter to send a direct message to @airbnbhelp.  They will ask for the name, email address, and phone number associated with your account.  Then they'll address the issue.

https://twitter.com/AirbnbHelp

I will try, thanks!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Burak42  This is just a discussion forum for hosts and guests. No one here can help you with a payment issue if the system isn't accepting it. Only customer service (or more like diservice) can do anything about it. 

Try contacting them on their Twitter account if you haven't tried that method of contact yet.

I've read so many topics about it and i bet that hosts and guests know much more about it than a Airbnb support team.. I've already spoke with 5 support team member none of them couldnt solve it.

I will try to contact with twitter, thanks.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Burak42  This certainly explains why so many hosts have reported bookings delayed by payment issues.  It's not sketchy guests but Airbnb glitches.  We should have known...

Yeah! for 3 days im trying to make the payment and im investigating this on forums, lots of complains like this since 2017?? Can you believe this? How such a popular website can serve like this to the customers? Its shameful!

Salvatore416
Level 1
Oceanside, CA

After long investigation, I figured it out!

Traveler's reservation requests and payments are being declined by the Host!!! For a myriad of reasons known only to them!!!  They don't bother to be honest with us, and communicate that they are refusing our reservation request.  

Airbnb protects their Hosts by posting that nasty little banner, telling the Traveler that their credit card has been declined, most likely by our bank.  It is complete BS that originates with the Host!!!  As long as they decline us within 24 hours, it pushes them to Super Host Status!!!

Travelers know they have funds available, so we try to push the payment through repeatedly.  We see that same nasty message every time.  So, we try a different credit card, then we try our debit card, or attempt to use palpay, or as the Support Team suggests, we purchase airbnb's gift cards.  

Well, guess what? The Gift Cards are rejected as well, because the Host does not want to rent to us: they want more money per day; don't want to leave a few days in between Travelers; desire total number of days to be greater; or, they may just not like us, or something we asked in a message. You will see a warning about discrimination, but that is self regulated also.

All those good faith payment attempts cause the Traveler's account to be RED FLAGGED FOR POSSIBLE FRAUD in their system.  The Traveler must contact Support, who continue to tell us the same BS all over again, the problem must be with our bank.  

DO NOT MAKE ADDITIONAL ATTEMPTS TO RESERVE A HOME ONCE YOU ARE DECLINED.
THE PAYMENT SYSTEM REQUIRES AT LEAST 24 HOURS TO RESET.  
DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER PAYMENT ATTEMPT IN THAT TIME FRAME.
YOU HAVE BEEN FLAGGED FOR POSSIBLE FRAUD WITH TOO MANY PAYMENT ATTEMPTS.

AFTER YOU WAIT IT OUT, CHOOSE A DIFFERENT VACATION HOME.
GO HAVE A GREAT VACATION WITH A HOST THAT WANTS YOU!

HOST INSTRUCTIONS - How and When to Decline a request

Things come up, and you might not be able to accommodate every request that comes your way. Not a problem—here’s how to handle it.

1. Decline the request before it expires within 24 hours—your response rate will thank you! It’s one of the factors that helps you become a Superhost.
  2. Decide whether to keep the dates blocked or open them up for someone else to book.
  3. Change your mind? That’s OK, too. Just ask the guest to send a new request, or make their day by sending a special offer or pre-approval invite.

You can also decline an inquiry, which prevents the guest from sending a request.

Note: Make sure to review our Nondiscrimination Policy before you decline. Turning down a lot of requests can impact your reservation rates and where your listing shows up in search.

@Salvatore416  This is absolute nonsense. Please don't post misinformation as if it were some fact.

It has nothing to do with hosts declining a booking and you are totally misunderstanding the wording about Superhost and declining being somehow advantageous for hosts.

Hosts get punished when they decline a request. Their Acceptance rate lowers and if they decline too much, they get warning messages from Airbnb about having their accounts suspended.

That wording 

1. Decline the request before it expires within 24 hours—your response rate will thank you! It’s one of the factors that helps you become a Superhost.

doesn't mean what you think it means. It doesn't "push a  host towards Superhost status"- what it refers to is that if a host fails to respond to a booking request within 24 hours, regardless of whether they accept it or decline it, their Response rate will be lowered, and that rate is one of the factors used to determine Superhost eligibility.

Declining a booking is not advantageous for a host in any way- there are no rewards for doing so, and if Airbnb had their way, hosts would be forced to accept every booking, no matter how inappropriate. Airbnb wants all requests to be accepted- they make their money on the service fees guests are charged. They certainly won't and don't make it in any way advantageous for a host to decline- quite the oppposite.

What you "figured out" happens to be totally incorrect.

This happened to as well. It's been three days since I reported the issue. I think the Airbnb help team is trying to wear me out rather than help solve the issue ! After reported the issue, useless messages like " thanks for reporting the issue, we're trying to help you soon. A technical team will contact you" . I think this is automatic, since it was sent every few hours. Then a person with a name contacted, essentially repeating the same thing. Then another guy, similar message !  Finally solved the issue myself by booking via another site !