My first bad family - guests from HELL, place in shambles

Bianca196
Level 2
Caledon, Canada

My first bad family - guests from HELL, place in shambles

We are new to Airbnb, I help my parents run their Airbnb. We got a family of 4 (husband, wife, 6 yr old, 9 yr old) moving from South Africa, they were looking for a place to stay till their house was ready so they asked for a "special price" and booked it for 29 days. Throughout the month, I sent 3 messages asking how things were going and they replied right away pleasantly saying everything was great and our place was fantastic. I told them that the day of check out I would be arriving a little later than check out time that they could take their time not to rush. The mother did not address the comment I made about time but only said, Thanks Bianca, I just wanted to let you know we broke your cutting board and wanted to leave you a few dollars, how much was it? I told her it was not a big deal and she replied, Ok have a great evening! 

When I arrived at my apartment on checkout day I wanted to cry. They weren't there and hadn't left a note or anything. There were red stains smeared on the walls, handprints EVERYWHERE, my screen door was off the rails, they had stripped the sheets and thrown them in the washer and dryer but they were FULL of sand and glitter so they were NOT clean, the lint trap was PACKED with sand, sequins, glitter and lint, there was toothpaste caked on the bathroom counter, sink and had run down the front of the cabinets, there was NO carpet on the floor so of course the tiles are covered in toothpaste, men's footprints, among other footprints, then I enter the first bedroom, the bed rails scuffed and gouged the walls, there are handprints EVERYWHERE, there are gouges inside the closet, the other bedroom is much of the same except all 4 walls must be scrubbed, there are enough dust bunnies under the bed to start a bunny farm, they did not clean the shower, the drain was clogged and I almost couldn't clear the hair, there was stinky moldy water in the toothbrush cup, there was caked urine around the base of the toilet and food left in the closet........there are purple stains on my granite kitchen counter (won't come out), they left food on the dishes in my dishwasher (smells like a dead body), left charred food in the oven, my fridge is FILTHY, the stainless is so dirty I don't even know if it's just dirty or scratched.....they took half my towels, they broke my stools....I know I have to start a Resolution Process but this is so overwhelming and my place is booked!!! How on earth can I get it cleaned, all my stuff repaired in time for my next guests!!! It's impossible!!!! Not to mention, I will be leaving them a BAD REVIEW but do I go into detail about what they did or do I just generally say they left my place dirty and broke appliances, furniture and did not inform me? Sorry so long, I don't know what to do!!

11 Replies 11
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Bianca196 ,

Sorry to read about this bad experience

Just some comments:

Your listings says in houserules (in uppercase):

- NO KIDS UNDER AGE 18 **NO EXCEPTIONS**

But how come you accepted the 6 and 9 years old ?

There is no deposit in your listing, so no possibility to claim like this:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

Procedures to follow :

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/361/how-do-i-request-reimbursement-under-the-host-guarantee

Hope this helps,

Emiel

Hi Emiel,

At the time of their booking all of those stipulations were not in place but I made amendments. I have also added a deposit. Thanks for those notes.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Bianca196  Video and photograph everything. The replacement granite counter top will be over $1000 alone. Start finding reciepts, replacement item links and photo's of the condo items before if you have them. Unfortunately you have so few pictures on your listing a lot is going to be hard to document. I am assuming you do not have commerical insurance. If when all the costs are calulated the damage is over $2500 which I am sure it will be based on the description you gave try to get get a local news crew call a few if need be the smaller more local the more intrested they will be to document it also before you clean up. You're going to need to cancel your next booking I don't see how you can clean it all up, probably repaint the walls and replace everything by afternoon tomorrow. Call AirBnB and have them cancel for you penalty free. Your going to need outside help to get AirBnB to cover all this, use social media, TV stations, newspaper, and local magizines anything you can. AirBnB hates bad news in any form. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

@Bianca196  No host like a mess and some guests are slobs when unlucky to get those types. I always block out days before and days after per stay to address these issues so not to affect new guest bookings. Its always added cleaning pressure hosting back to back. Some of your damages are cosmetic, You can ask a professional cleaner to help you asap. The screen door may be repaired by a handy man within a day of booking someone. The cleaning product Jiff may get rid of the purple stains.

You can re address your house rules and say please don't bring sand into this home, please do not use paints for childrens activities. Some people lack common sense and need to see it in your house rules.

Just my thoughts. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

This is no help for this one, but in the future, never ever let a booking as long as this go without you or someone else doing midstay cleans. I think weekly cleans is fine for a month, I don't have guests for longer than a week really so I never let the house go for longer than three days without cleaning. This way you will know how things are going. This needs to be announced at time of booking so they know someone will come. I want to know that linen etc are washed the way I want it to be, so there is no way I would let guests manage everything without me.

I am so sorry you had this happen. Midstay cleans, all the way! Protecting your investment.

Now take a deep breath and deal with the rooms one at a time.

Thank you Sandra. I did follow up with them though, previous guests had informed me of issues so I was not sure why these ones wouldn't. But hindsight....I have definitely learned a lesson in this!! Thank you for your kind words.....quarter cleaned, three quarters to go!!!!!!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Not just contacting them midstay, but actually doing the cleaning, linen, towels, all that. Will be much less wear and tear on your property and happier guests.

Great progress on the cleaning!

Today we uncovered the kids peed the bed.....cool

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

I am sorry this happened to you.

Last year, Airbnb ran a print ad of a family baking together and flour flying everywhere.  The mixed signals were not okay.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Dawn33! You are still here! Good to see you. I was away from the forum for ages and since I returned have not seen you. Hope all is well in Texas.

Thank you,  @Sandra126!  I was off the CC and then came back for a bit! Hope you are doing well.