My first "fight" with a newbie to Airbnb! Who do I call in an EMERGENCY?

Lilia22
Level 6
Bluffton, SC

My first "fight" with a newbie to Airbnb! Who do I call in an EMERGENCY?

SUMMARY: So, this happened to me yesterday (please read down below).  Obviously, the guest is at fault because she did not understand the dates she booked (literally checking in of April 15 - Check out April 18).  

When I discussed this situation with my husband, he asked me a very valid question!  "So, if you show up on the 18th to clean the villa for the next guest, and she was still there, what do you do?  Who do you call?  Because you have one refusing to leave and one coming in!"

So, if a situation such as this ever happens to me (yikes), who can I call?  I want to have that number and/or e-mail/information on my cell. so I may contact them immediately!

PS: Got to love her "want" and "told me" choice of words.

"HER: My children are staying at a different location that week and I want my own space!

Last Thursday at 10:46 AM

ME: Good morning D....
Totally understand about wanting your own place.
Closer to your stay, I will send you check in instructions.
Welcome to Villa Lizette.
Lilia

Last Thursday at 11:13 AM

HER: Thank you! I may be wanting to add on the 19th as well. Waiting to hear about my husbands schedule. Initially he wasn’t planning on coming but it’s a definite maybe now!

Last Thursday at 11:20 AM

ME: Ok.. I will open up the 18th so you may add. If it's a no, let me know ASAP so I may block it for cleaning. I have a part time job and have to make sure my business and the job's schedule are good.
Thanks, Lilia

Last Thursday at 11:47 AM

HER: I won’t know for a few days. I originally booked for 15-18 so i don’t want to lose the 18th. I’ll let’s you know ASAP!

Last Thursday at 11:51 AM

ME: Thanks

Last Thursday at 11:51 AM

ME: Hi ….
April 18th night and on its no longer available. I unblocked it for you but because you did not extend your reservation someone else took those dates. :0(
I am giving plenty of time in case you need to look for another place that will accommodate all of your dates. All you need to do is cancel the reservation you have with me; and because it's being done with plenty of time, Airbnb should refund you completely.
Just let me know what you want to do.
Lilia

Yesterday at 3:17 PM

HER: I don’t really understand? I was booked for 15-18. I never cancelled the 18th. The other reservation should have to cancel. Not me.

Yesterday at 3:23 PM

I told you yesterday I didn’t want that blocked.

Yesterday at 3:23 PM

I will also extend to the 19th so you won’t be out any money.

Yesterday at 3:24 PM

ME: You booked entering April the 15th and exiting April the 18th.

Yesterday at 3:24 PM

HER: And it was confirmed. I still don’t understand.

Yesterday at 3:25 PM

HER: I guess it’s fine if you’d rather have the other guests. I’m very disappointed and still confused.

Yesterday at 3:26 PM

ME: I can't cancel reservations because I get penalized as a host.
As a guest, you can make a reservation and than change your mind without any consequences for you.

Yesterday at 3:27 PM

HER: Wow! First experience with Air B&B. �

Yesterday at 3:27 PM

HER: Cancelled.

Yesterday at 3:31 PM

CANCELLED YESTERDAY AT 3:30 PM

ME: Well, I guess that is that. I was in the middle of writing a further explanation as to how Airbnb works and lost the email/text when the cancelation came in.
I wish you good luck and a great time during your vacation in HHI.
Lilia

Yesterday at 3:34 PM"

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lilia22  I have had several "discussions" similar to yours with "newbies" .  I understand how difficult it is to understand this system for new guests.  Frustrating, but sometimes the more you try to accommodate or explain, the less the guest understands 😛

I am retired so I have more flexibility in dealing with changes than you have, but still I have built in blocking a day before and a day after the booking for a cushion to be sure I am not stressed about cleaning and the next guest.

As to contacting Air BNB here is a guide for contacting them as found here in this site.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Lilia22
Level 6
Bluffton, SC

@Linda108  Thanks so much for provinding me with this info.  Not only I saved the email, I have added those phone nos. to my contacts and under Favorites.. just in case!!

Wondering if someone has "gotten" themselves into a situation like the one I described.  Also, obviously, what was the outcome.

Again, thanks so much.