My guest and I both are happy to cancel. Why so many consequences?

Linda3
Level 2
Kelowna, Canada

My guest and I both are happy to cancel. Why so many consequences?

Why is there so much hastle with the consequences i.e. losing super host status, having that date blocked ect.?

4 Replies 4
Linda3
Level 2
Kelowna, Canada

This booking is for 8 months from now. Their plans have changed and now when I try and cancel for them there are all these warnings about losing super host status, having the dates blocked for rebooking and a warning of "this is your first cancelation in 6 months so fees are being waived. If I have happily accepted the guests choice why is there penalties to me for being a gracious host?

You could send them a request to change the booking to one day - you will have the day blocked in your calendar and they will loose rent and fees for a day only. That might be cheaper then loosing the fees for the whole stay. 

They can still cancel the remaining day - but don't you cancel yourself.

Because you have selected "Strict" as your cancellation policy it means that any deviation from that will have big consequences for you or guest. I agree with Helga's strategy but you might consider first asking the guest to call airbnb to see if they will cancel for them if they are informed that you agree to it. Probably they won't refund their own fees but in general it feels like airbnb is bending over backwards to accomodate guest requests.

You'll come across this each time you have someone who wants to cancel under "strict", it is meant to be a serious committment from both sides. However be careful if you change because it has been the case lately that some hosts are not able to return to a "strict" policy if they change it to a "moderate" policy.

In general, it isn't about them not wanting to support you as a gracious host as much as enforcing the big committment that strict indicates.

Best of luck, let us all know how it turns out!

Bridget

Queenie0
Level 10
United States

Generally, when both guests and host agree to a cancellation, the guest should cancel. They have far fewer consequences that the host. As hosts, we want to make Airbnb as simple as possible for guests to use, but this is one situation where the action needs to be taken by the guest not the host.