My guest did not disclose that she was handicapped and my guest house is not accessible. Now what?

Sherry128
Level 2
Washington, DC

My guest did not disclose that she was handicapped and my guest house is not accessible. Now what?

My guest house is a tiny house with a very tiny bathroom. My guest did not disclose her use of a wheelchair and now that she is here I am concerned that she will not be able to safely manage the bathroom. 

I think if someone has a disability they should disclose it at booking so a host can let them know if they can accommodate the guest. Have others had this issue? 

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Is your guest asking for some accommodation or are you assuming there is a need, @Sherry128?  Unless your listing includes that you are wheelchair accessible which also means you meet ADA regulations, you are under no obligation to make an accommodation.  Now, I have had friends in wheelchairs stay at my place and they did fine, but I would not be able to say I meet ADA regulations.  Perhaps if you have the conversation with your guest, you can become more educated about how some wheelchair bound people are quite capable of handling their requirements on their own.   That is my experience, anyway.  If you feel their is some implied liability given the specifics of your listing, you should definitely have the communication and you should use the Air BNB messaging system.  Let us know how this all comes out.

I just had a similar thing happen and I feel very uncomfortable.  I say everywhere on my post that this is a converted guest house and I have a big dog in the yard that is very friendly.  She will go up to a person and want to play.  This 60 year old man put his VERY fragile 85 year old mom in my garage!  It is really messed up!  She could have fallen.  She broke the towel bar by using in as a handicap rail.  Totally inappropate!