My guest is walking around in his underwear!!

Answered!
Katrina115
Level 2
Vaughan, Canada

My guest is walking around in his underwear!!

I am quite new at hosting.  My first 2 guests have been great, but my third one is making me feel uncomfortable.  Firstly, every time he has a shower or uses the sink in my kitchen, there is water everywhere!!! I don't know what he is doing, but after using a towel to wipe it up, I can literally ring out all the water.  Second, his body odour.  I'm not sure if he isn't using deodorant or something, but his body odour is quite persistent.  And this is the reason I don't want to mention the water issue because I don't want him to stop taking showers!  But the worst thing has to be that he walks around my condo in his underwear!!! Today when I came home, was the third time in 3 days that I have seen him doing this.  It makes me feel really uncomfortable, and I don't know what to do.  He is booked for 16 nights and is only on night 4.  What should I do??

1 Best Answer

@Katrina115

Send a message to your guest thru Airbnb messenger. Something along the lines of

Hello *guest*. I hope you are enjoying your stay in my home and thank you for respecting our 'no shoes in the house' and 'no smoking' rules.

I would like to address a few things I have noticed to ensure we can both feel comfortable during your stay. (1) Please cover up and dress appropriately when in shared spaces. Walking around in underwear is considered inappropriate behavior when in a shared home listing. (2) Please wipe up excess water on the floor and walls after using the shower/sink using the clean rags (which are WHERE) Especially when taking showers, please make sure to close the shower curtain/shower booth door. Excess water left for extended periods may cause water damage to floors and walls so I'd greatly appreciate your cooperation.

If you need any assistance with regard to your stay please message me any time. I'd be happy to help any way I can.

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Katrina115

You can simply ask him to wear decent clothing in shared spaces. Nothing wrong with such a comment.

Sandra754
Level 3
Sandpoint, ID

You say “uncomfortable,” but are you safe? At the least, this behavior is disrespectful, and it makes me worry what this guest is thinking. Perhaps if you told him to make himself at home, he took you quite literally; but common sense and courtesy steer most folks toward consideration for others. Not him. So tell him he needs to cover up when walking about the apartment and to wipe up his spills.

@Katrina115

Send a message to your guest thru Airbnb messenger. Something along the lines of

Hello *guest*. I hope you are enjoying your stay in my home and thank you for respecting our 'no shoes in the house' and 'no smoking' rules.

I would like to address a few things I have noticed to ensure we can both feel comfortable during your stay. (1) Please cover up and dress appropriately when in shared spaces. Walking around in underwear is considered inappropriate behavior when in a shared home listing. (2) Please wipe up excess water on the floor and walls after using the shower/sink using the clean rags (which are WHERE) Especially when taking showers, please make sure to close the shower curtain/shower booth door. Excess water left for extended periods may cause water damage to floors and walls so I'd greatly appreciate your cooperation.

If you need any assistance with regard to your stay please message me any time. I'd be happy to help any way I can.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jessica-and-Henry0 's approach is a perfect one and supremely professional.  

I'd probably be inclined to say "Dude, do you really think I appreciate seeing you prancing about in your underwear? " 🙂   

@Sarah977 

...or send him round to mine. I could do with a bit of cheering up 😉

Didda0
Level 1
Reykjavík, Iceland

I had a lodger hanging around in his underpants all day long during Easter, until 11.30 at night. The setup is, he is sharing a flat with me, a 55 year old lady plus 2 young women.

While it makes me feel uncomfortable, it makes me feel more annoyed. I wonder, should I ask him if he had an accident and needs to borrow some trouses?

Is he on some discovery, looking for freedom?

Should I point him to a store selling trousers?

I can only see this as disrespectful. I don´t give a **bleep** what you wear in your bedroom, but why prounce around in communal areas in your underwear?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Didda0

I think you should speak about this with your guest. Personally, I would also feel uncomfortable if my guest would start walking around like that in a shared space. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Laura2625
Level 2
Guelph, Canada

We had a colleague of my husband do this once when he could not get a hotel due to Octoberfest.   The guy's name was Jan.  Wonder if it is the same weirdo?  

Albita0
Level 2
Ladson, SC

I have a guest walking in underwear i talk to him and he told me if I don’t mind seeing my 16 yrs old kid without a shirt and he told me this was arrasment

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Albita0 

It is not acceptable for your guest to walk around communal areas in his underwear.

Let him know that your expectation is that he should be clothed in communal areas and if this is not something that works for him, he would be better moving to a whole listing where he can dress as he likes. Follow up conversations on Airbnb so there is a record.

If he continues to walk around in his underwear, contact Airbnb and ask them to cancel the booking.

In what way is your 16 year old pertinent to what a guest wears I wonder?

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Albita0, with such attitude it is time to contact the CS. Let them educate this person or just relocate him somewhere.

As for me I’m taking such dress habits with smile, just saying “you will catch cold” when I see my guest just in towel. And in few cases even without towel... Males without T-shirt became something common:( Surprisingly I never noticed such thing with female guests. 

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

I guess you have to put a dress code in your house rules!

And maybe leave a copy laying around on the counter highlighted in yellow!

This is beyond comprehension to me some other things I would do if sharing space with my guests:

- Not accept 16 day stay from a man I don't know, require a trial stay of a few days first

- Only accept women (limiting to same sex as host is allowed)

Albita0
Level 2
Ladson, SC

Everything started since this guest came along 

with a pet wasn’t on the reservation I was very surprise, trying to be nice bc he is an elder person but he left the dog unmonitored inside the left door open and dog pee in my floors in a very expensive rug I have in my living room I ask him to the the damages and he doesn’t agree and he will no bc his dog is a animal support, contacted Airbnb and the person who is dealing with resolution is taking side with the guest and  no paying attention to my situation and this guest everything I say bc he is no respecting my rules and walk-in in underwear he say he will fallow a law suit of harassment bc he think he can do whatever he want bc the guy from resolution center is taking side 

I have surveillance cameras in my house for my own protection and you can see this gentleman walk-in In underpants without shirt 

and I don’t feel comfortable 

and Michael from Airbnb he say I can’t do anything Bc I can get in trouble for discrimination 

can someone help me please with this 

I don’t know what to do. 

also the guy from Airbnb told him I can’t get in trouble for getting inside his room and taking pictures of his dog, my question is this is my house and the guy is no respecting my rules also some one came along the way and drop 2 cars for him and I don’t really know if this vehicles belong to him cars are park in my driveway I can’t really have space In my house and I don’t really understand why I have to let this guest get away with this 

when I approach him last night about if he can wear more clothes when he is sharing areas with me he raise his voice and asking me to drop everything or will be consequences 

can someone help me please thanks 

I am really desperate 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Are you following all conversations with your guest up on Airbnb - I do hope so, so there is a record of your discussions. If not message the guest now, summarise the conversations.

Call Airbnb and speak to someone else. It doesn't matter if this is a service dog (if it was then the owner would have the dog at all times.) that doesn't mean that he can threaten you or walk around with only his underpants in communal areas.

Tell Airbnb the guests refuses to put on clothes in communal areas, has threatened you if you complain about his behaviour and won't take responsibilities for damages caused by his dog. Say the guest frightens you with his threats as a lone woman sharing accommodation with him and you want them to cancel the booking. Emphasise that this is nothing to do with him having a guide dog but because of his own behaviour.

Airbnb is correct it is not acceptable for you to go into the guests room or take photos of the room.