My guest made a mistake of giving me 1 star instead of 5

George633
Level 2
Yarm, United Kingdom

My guest made a mistake of giving me 1 star instead of 5

Hi

Can anyone help. My guest stayed for 3 weeks and absolutely loved our airbnb property. He is returning in 10 days time for another month and also wants to book on a monthly basis for the next 12 months. His company who made the booking rated my property as 5 stars for all the individual ratings but one (wich they gave 4/5) but made a mistake when rating the overall experience and chose 1 star when they meant to rate it 5 stars. Unfortunately, I sent my review before they had managed to correct it and so it's not posible to change it now. I have contacted airbnb about the problem and am waiting for a call back from them. The guy I spoke to during my original call didn't give me much hope that it will be rectified though.  

The consequences of this error means we now have an overal rating of 4.3 instead of the 5.0 we had and still would have if our guest had not ade an error. This not only means we will not get our Superhost status we were on track for but have received an email from airbnb stating that we are now close to the bottom 10% of all airbnb properties and if we dont improve our hosting we will be suspended!!! 

We have been working very hard to make our guests stay at our property as perfect as posible and are really upset about this sistuation. It's clear from the guests review and subsequent messages that they made a mistake so surely we shouldn't suffer because of their error!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? And if so, did you get any help from airbnb?

Kind regards

Steph and George

6 Replies 6
Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

The guests need to be the one to contact airbnb about getting the review changed or taken down. No review is better than a bad one. I'm pretty sure that CS will not help you as the host with this problem. 

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

@George633  Hi Buddy, if the guest has left five star reviews in all categories other than overall then your position is strong regarding having the review removed! However if the guest calls the BNB C/S and tells them they have made a mistake then it should be sorted out. A word of advise though, ensure the guest gets a reference number when they call into BNB as it seems things go missing quite often!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Shaun.

George633
Level 2
Yarm, United Kingdom

Hi, Thanks for your responses. Airbnb have removed it with the permission of the guest. It is such a shame they couldn't just change it though as it was a great review apart from the error. As you say though, no review is better than a bad one. Back on track for getting Superhost status though so happy enough. Thanks again, George

Carlann0
Level 2
Hyattsville, MD

I had the same issue. The only thing is the guest lied because she could not get a refund.  According to the guest, she didnt realize that my listing was a basement( the pics obviously shows this). The review couldnt come in worse timing( 2 days before  becoming superhost).

Ruby37
Level 1
Whistler, Canada

I had similar experiences .

My place is beside ski run and I described it is not in the center of village. Still a few guests gave me 2 star at location because it is not in the center. It is not fair when a guest did a wrong booking but blamed host instead of themselves. 

Kimberley59
Level 4
Seattle, WA

This happened to me a couple times where the guest accidentally hit the wrong button on cell phone when leaving a review (actually sometimes the app grabs the wrong star rating even if you tap the right star), but Airbnb refused to fix it, even if the guest contacted them about the error.