My guest stinks

My guest stinks

I think I may have either a Real vagabond here, or just someone with incredibly poor hygiene.  Her stench is starting to permeate the rest of my apartment and she is still booked for two days any ideas would be appreciated.  

13 Replies 13

@Richard668 you are in a difficult situation.

Nobody wants a stinky person in their apartment.

But the guest isn't breaking any rules. (Wait, let me check the house rules... ok nothing about being smelly.)

Even if Airbnb said you could cancel the guest's reservation without penalty, what would you say to the guest that wouldn't be awkward and uncomfortable?

I think the "hostly" thing to do is... go about your day and try your best to pretend you don't notice the stench. And pray the odor does not last much beyond checkout time.

I’m not trying to be funny or a jerk.  

I guess the lesson is, don’t except guests with bad reviews from now on.  

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Richard668 If said guest had bad reviews, why would you have accepted a booking from her?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Burn some incense.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Did you see anything related to this problem in her reviews, @Richard668?

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Shan14
Level 2
Kampala, Uganda

Just like @Sarah977 suggests,

I too think burning some essence will help turn things around.

Hopefully, neither occupant is allergic to essence.

Cristian-Luiz0
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hi Richard.  Me to  having the same situation . 

Now it's for the second time. And my guest are an airbnb host too. How can this people stinks like this .

I offer  free toiletries  too .

Unfortunately i will have to put  "be clean " on the house rules.

It's a shame. 

some people dont wash their scalp when they wash their hair, and the stink is left on my pilows, it is disgusting.... I have to spray the hech out of the pillows after guests leave and then put pillow in dryer for a full cycle.

Maria2419
Level 2
Waterloo, CA

Oh dear I have the same problem. My guest stayed for 2 weeks, I could not wait for him to leave. 5 days later it is still stinking in the house. What can I do to get rid of this smell, should I just wash the walls, ceiling,  carpets, book covers, everything? Ugh. Also, so guess I should give him a bad review, but I feel bad about that. What do you guys think?

I put a sign in the restroom that says "thanks for showering" !!!!

Henry and I have had guests with bad BO..... and honestly I don't think there is much a host can do if someone chooses not to shower or use deoderant. Some people just don't seem to know how to properly wash hair or shower. (sigh~~) We aired the room as often as possible, when the guest was out. 

We also recently invested in a Vauzen electrolyzed water generator - it's better than Febreze. 

https://www.amazon.com/Vauzen-Electrolyzed-All-Purpose-Disinfectant-Deodorizer/dp/B07FZ8R1P5

I have a first time to Airbnb Guest who is nice, but he too stinks.  He leaves the bedroom door closed, but when he opens it, that stink come pouring out.  I work right across the hall in my office and it is a sickening smell that not only gives me a headache, but is causing my stomach to feel unsteady.  He came in on the 1st and does not leave until the 30th.  I am afraid my carpet, drapes, etc will be ruined by the stench pouring out after all of that time.

I see there is no real advice here on line, but I will be trying to get a room deordorizer system.  I am allergy to scents, so I need to be careful what I get.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I had a really lovely couple stay with me for a long weekend. I needed to put something in their room, but when I opened the door, I was hit by the most disgusting smell. It was the strongest odour of stinky feet that I have ever smelt. These guests were showering, but some people have medical problems that cause these things. 

At school, our IT teacher had a problem with BO. When they built the new IT block, they actually put a shower next to his office because of this. He still smelt bad though. As kids, we obviously used to make jokes behind his back, but when I was a bit older and realised it was a medical condition, I felt bad about it.

Anyway, there was not much I could do about the stink from the guest. I never mentioned it, just aired the room and, obviously, everything was washed before the next guest came. However, they also left black marks on the brand new set of towels that I was never able to get out. I don't know what it was, but it looked like shoe polish. Could have been something else though.